Harmon Kardon 330B repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I just joined this forum because it seems nice and a bunch of people seem to know a bit about my receiver. Anyways it's a Harmon Kardon 330B (mom got it as a graduation present from college), which is now my receiver for my bedroom stereo. It's replacing my Akai receiver from the mid 80s (left channel died on it), but it itself is not completely perfect.

First of all, the receiver makes some loud popping noises when I flip between monitor and source if it has just been turned on. Just wondering if this is normal for this kind of amp.

Secondly, which is purely cosmetic, the lamps behind the indicators for what source you have selected appear to have burned out, because only the AM lamp turns on when I'm selecting a source.

But yeah, I've decided to use this receiver for a long time, as I can't really afford a nice 2-channel receiver, and this receiver is plenty loud. I'm good at soldering, so if people tell me what to do, I can probably do it. I already saw the thread that contained the service manual, so I already downloaded that. Other than those issues, the receiver is perfect. The glass hasn't scratched on the front, and all the inputs work. FM and AM reception is good enough that I might not need to install my dipole unless I wanna pick up stuff in Boston.

Those bulb behind the dial scale are know as fuse bulb. It looks like a 3/4" fuse. Not sure if it is available nowadays.
As for the poping sound, the most simplest way is open up the top cover. Locate the switch and spray with contact cleaner. But, by doing this you may temporary fix the prolems. Please check for leaking coupling capacitor. Usauly electrolitic cap 1uf 50v. Replace with the same value but try to get something like 63v or 100v.

simular

i just did a jvc ...vintage as you call them .....what i did was just simply replaced all of the lamps ( normally suplied with about 6-12 volts ac ) with nice trendy blue leds ....

its a simple mod only thing you need is a diode a resistor and a cap to rectifie the ac and some skill to point the led where you really want to

as about the rest you say simply you need one apply of philips contact sprey to all potensiometers and ainside of all switches but dont forget that after the spray (doesnt requier a lot ) you have to rewash with degreaser spray to remove all the diesel oil included in the contact spray and can destroy the plastics of your pots and switches ....

have fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.