NAD 3020 amplifier volume problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 25 year old NAD 3020 has suddenly lost volume. It was working fine but suddenly went 'quiet'. If you go close to speakers, you can hear music very faintly. Any idea what problem is and if t can be easily fixed orhas it just come to en dof useful life? The same problem was raised by 'diddytong' in july 2005. Help!

NAD Volume Control

Hi Neil,

I love NAD products! I have an older 2200PE Amp and 1155 Preamp. Also have a 7225PE receiver. All work beautifully! Something really cool about an S/N Ratio of 114dB! I bought my 1155 second-hand from a pawn shop a few years ago and had problems with the volume control (noisy and music would cut out entirely sometimes). I replaced it with a new one, and Voila! Problem gone.

Since you're still hearing music faintly, your amplifiers are functioning. If the volume control is not suspect, then I would check any logic-controlled muting circuits to see if they're acting up.

Since I am unfamiliar with the 3020, I would ask: Does it use a true analogue potentiometer or a rotary encoder with digital volume control?

Sorry to present you with more question than answers, but these are a few things you might try out first.

Hope this helps out!

Kind Regards,

Steve

This thread has my experience with a very similar problem and the NAD 1020:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62671

The 1020 is essentially the same preamp section of the 3020.

I had to remove the muting resistors. Play around with headphones and see if you have a signal in trhe preamp section. Or you can try put a signal into the amp section. That way you will know what section has the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.