DIY Interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested in making a high quality interconnect for cheap. Can a person use coaxial cable with RCA plugs? Seems that this would be cheaper than expensive Monster cable. There are a lot of reviews regarding silver and solid strand etc... but not much discussion about good quality, cheap DIY interconnects.

Can a person use coaxial cable with RCA plugs?

Sure. I have some diy RG8 coax interconnects, RCA to XLR, which sound fine IMHO. I made some Cat5 Plenum grade RCA-RCA interconnects for my phono stage, which also sound fine. They have cheap gold plated plugs on them.
Just google "DIY Cat5 interconnects" and there should be lots of info/sites.

Jeff

Banned - Sockpuppet
Joined 2006
RyanW said:
Interested in making a high quality interconnect for cheap. Can a person use coaxial cable with RCA plugs? Seems that this would be cheaper than expensive Monster cable. There are a lot of reviews regarding silver and solid strand etc... but not much discussion about good quality, cheap DIY interconnects.

Coax may indeed be the best-sounding option -- period -- if you can live with the stiffness of solid-core. Some brands/models that stick out are:

Belden BL-1694A, Belden 1505F and Canare LV-77S.

Hi,
aerial cable @ 6 to 9mm diameter is too stiff for internal wiring.

If your case is non conducting then shielded microphone cable should be OK @ 3 to 4mm diameter. Shielded down to 1.2mm is available, but difficult to source at the smaller end.

For a shielded type case you may get away with unshielded between stages or even twisted pairs (0.6mm solid core or 1pair from CAT5).

There may be more advantage in twisting the HIGH current conductors to reduce the fields emanating from them than protecting the low current conductors.

I personally like guitar cable + RCA plugs. It is made to be flexible and it is pretty well shielded. It has benefits of shielded coax while being a lot easier to work with and bend around equipment. That being said, I also have a bunch of RG8 for BNC connectors, and it works great for audio too.

My concern with Radio Shack cable would be A) it wouldn't fit standard RCA plugs, and b) that stuff is really hit or miss. I would rather go to Lowes/Home Depot and get some of the high grade coax if you are going to use "TV Cable" coax.

Just my $0.02

Well, I like the solid core too, but I have to snake cables around stuff, so practical concerns get into play here too! If you can deal with the stiffness, RG8 is fantastic stuff, plus you can get it from ApexJr.com (shameless plug) for pretty cheap. Steve has nice stuff for cheap, and the RG8 is definitely less than the guitar cable.

HOWEVER, if you can actually, really, cross your heart and hope to die, hear a difference between interconnects, then I want your system and your ears! For me, once a certain threshold is passed, I can't tell ANYTHING is different between interconnects!

So, I usually hold a pretty high premium on them actually being able to be manipulated easily. Therein is why I prefer guitar cable. To each their own!

I been thinking about my connects for awhile

using a standard live card atm

I attached rca`s to another slot spare below the card

I was thinking of desoldering the head phone jacks altogether and
straight to the board. If i thought i could get away with that

im off to town tomorrow i`ll bring back some ends
i have plenty of guitar cable
plenty of rg8 and even some cat5 left over from my networking adventures

just not too keen on the 3.5 plug`s
any1 gotten rid of them succesfully of a live card??

my ska amp is perfect
i can still hear noise inbetween the pc and the poineer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.