Toroidal Prices spiking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K-amps said:
Thanks Mr. Samuelson. :)

So if the cost of materials is $15 and lets say copper is about $3 of it then the $30 increase represents a 1000% increase in the price of copper... and it has not, thus my theory of "padded prices" is more the cause and not wholly a copper effect.

$3 is 10% of $30. If they want to keep materials cost under 10% then the retail price would have to go up that much, yes. In this case of the toroids they prob. figure that there's a big buzz about how expensive copper is getting so why not do a little extra price gouging. Sometimes manufactures "absorb" increase in material cost temp. when they think the public would not accept an increase in the retail price. Like the "value" menus at fast food restaurants ~ Wendy's tried to raise the price of the bacon cheesburger from $1 to $1.25 and sales dropped so much they lost money so they put it back down to $1. Since we all know the price of copper is going up a lot (who hasn't heard about people stealing copper pipes recently?) people will prob. accept the increased cost of goods containing copper. I was going to run power line underground from my house to my garage to save the cost of having a seperate meter, that was before I heard how much more expensive the wire is these days :(

When did they stop making pennies solid copper, ever since WWII? Keep your eyes open for any old penny jars...

Will old speaker magnets work well as toroidal cores?

edit: do you mean the total cost of copper is now $3, or it increased by $3? The 1000% increase example is only accurate if you mean the increase was $3, not increased TO $3 total...

critofur said:

edit: do you mean the total cost of copper is now $3, or it increased by $3? The 1000% increase example is only accurate if you mean the increase was $3, not increased TO $3 total...

I think he meant that 30 is 1000% of of $3, but an increase from $3 to $30 is actually a 900% increase. A 100% increase would be $6, 200% would be $9, and so on.

Reid

"We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!" (Yogi Berra?)

Chartal said:
The cost of copper didn't go up. Copper Price

To the contrary, that link shows very clearly that copper prices has increased dramatically if you look at the one year and five year curves. The price has roughly increased by 50 % over the past year (which is consistent with what I have heard elsewhere) and some 200-250 % over the past 5 years!!!

Looking at the past 30 days or so is not interesting here, since there will likely be quite a long lag from an increase in raw material prices to a correspondging increase in transformer prices. The copper has also gone through various processing stages before even ending up at the transformer manufacturer, who buys copper wire, not copper ore or copper bars.

many reasons can contribute to price increases. material cost increases are certainly one factor; labor cost increases too? shipping costs, too.

in addition, there may be pricing considerations: the supplier figured out that they can indeed charge a higher price, or they want to get out of a product line gracefully, or the industry is capacity constrained, etc.

i don't think it is possible to pin down a reason with information we have so far.

ReidK said:

I think he meant that 30 is 1000% of of $3, but an increase from $3 to $30 is actually a 900% increase. A 100% increase would be $6, 200% would be $9, and so on.

Reid

"We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!" (Yogi Berra?)
If the wholesale material costs increases by $3 and they increase the retail price by $30 then that keeps the cost at 10% of the retail price.
$3 is 10% of $30
:dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.