Cascoded Output Stage 200W amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

This is my first stab at a discrete amp. Please be kind. I have been reading about the advantages of cascoding, and I have been hankering to design my own discerete class A/B amp. So here it is. I don't have a good name for it yet.

I have not chosen all the devices yet, but for the output devices I have my eyes on the Sanken SAP-16 or SAP-15 N and P channel dralingtons. These ICs have built in thermal runaway protection and emitter resistors. This just makes this a bit easier. I may also design another output PCB for single transistors including VBE multipliers.

Anyhow, I would very much appreciate if those of you who have designed more than one of these things would take a look at what I have so far.

I have done a lot of homework already, but I would love to do more.

Some notes:

R9 is a timmer to adjust offset.

R11 is a trimmer to adjust bias.

I am hoping to use series CLDs for current sources, but I am not sure if I would run into power dissipation issues... Should I just use a standard NPN bipolar current source?

Thanks for looking! :)

Cheers! :drink:
Russ

Attachments

• cascoded.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 442
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can cascode the inputs regardless of what loads it (and
obviously you know how to do it). It is not essential that you
cascode the inputs, but you might as well make a "theme"
amp out of it, as I did in the 70's with the CAS-1, in which all
the stages were cascoded. AFAIK, it was the first such example.

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:
You can cascode the inputs regardless of what loads it (and
obviously you know how to do it). It is not essential that you
cascode the inputs, but you might as well make a "theme"
amp out of it, as I did in the 70's with the CAS-1, in which all
the stages were cascoded. AFAIK, it was the first such example.

:cool:

Excellent guidance, Thanks! It is good to know I am not the first! :) I had not seen any such amp yet, but then I have not looked all that hard yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.