The best DIY monoblock?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to know what DIY monoblocks are the best out here, the one you would like the most to have yourself. And it would be nice if it available finished only without the case. I want to do a project like this mostly because of doing my own visual design, and I dpont know much about the tech spec behind an amp.

Hi

The most popular diy monoblocks are the Krell ksa50 and the Pass labs designs. There is a thread on the Krell Ksa 50 and a home page at Pass diy and Passlabs for the pass amplifiers. I have built both and found them excellant offering high quality audio.

More ambitious amplifiers, which require more knowledge, are the Krell KSA 100 and the Pass labs X amplifiers. There is a thread for the Krell KSA 100 and the pass amps are on the home pages mentioned above.

Other amplifiers, which I understand are excellant but which have less threads to support you, are those from Borbelly and Leach and also Rod Elliot.

Another interesting design with less power is that from Lindsay Hood. Again check the threads here under that name.

Good luck and I hope you post some pictures when you have finished to give everyone some ideas for the future.
Don

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Christian,

if you have little technical knowledge/experience in amplifier building, i suggest the easiest to build monaural design instead of the best.

Don Lagonda,

you skipped on an attempt to climb the A100s, i gather from your words ?
(referenced by D Self-kicker in his book, btw. Lindsay=>Linsley, unless he had a drag Q brother)

I want it pre built and then I can fit it in a cabinet, fit power switch, rca,xlr and speaker terminal, and connect the other main parts. But there is no way I am skipping out the best sound to make it easier to build, then I will probably buy Krell, Pass Labs, Theta or Mark Levinson monos instead. I need the top sound quality. Is the GB300D a way to go?

Christian,

It rather depends on how much service backup you need, and the level of completeness of the kit. Like anything, there is a complete range of prices, too, but if you look carefully at all the suggested options you will see the whole range of service, price, and completeness.

I offer a complete kit, with full service backup, but your decision is a tough one.

All the amps suggested are good, with anything by Linsley Hood or Nelson Pass a standout.

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.