crown ma10000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jamesfromkansas said:
How much did the Crown MA10000 cost when it came out? I have one but I don't know what it is worth in mint condition. Thanks in advance.

Have you searched to web.
eBay and other such second hand places
may have some Crown MA 10000 on sale.
And may see some prices, money wanted and offered.

There are many other 'Buy & Sell' websites, too.

eBay has got good search functions for anything
one search category is 'Consumer Electronics'
http://www.ebay.com/
-----------------------------------------

At http://www.crownaudio.com/ I digged up this Crown Macro-Tech 10000 PDF
including some schematics, but maybe not the power output part:
http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k80305a2.pdf
More Documents:
Discontinued Product, Product Documentation
http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legacamp.htm

What I can understand it is a very high power amplifier (needing special Mains Powering)

According to the above PDF, looks like:
Continuous Average Power output, 1 kHz:
At 0.1% THD !!!

4 Ohm: 2.190 Watt
2 Ohm: 3.895 Watt
1 Ohm: 5.880 Watt

I guess, you would easily find a buyer,
that would be willing to pay Very Good Money
maybe even in the Trading forum category of www.diyaudio.com
Link:
diyAudio Forums > Top > Market Place > Trading Post
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

lineup

Re: Re: crown ma10000

lineup said:

What I can understand it is a very high power amplifier (needing special Mains Powering)

According to the above PDF, looks like:
Continuous Average Power output, 1 kHz:
At 0.1% THD !!!

4 Ohm: 2.190 Watt
2 Ohm: 3.895 Watt
1 Ohm: 5.880 Watt

Yes, that's right.
as I told: (needing special Mains Powering)
But wouldn't almost anyone with his own house, have access to 3 phase mains?

And as of today:
www.diyaudio.com: 64,713 members
Can be quite a big number of potential buyers, that has got what it takes.

Even if only a small % has got 1 house.
Say 5%. Makes 3.235,65 diyaudio members have a house.
(Well a bit difficult if you are that one 0,65 of a person, maybe.)

And this guy only needs ONE ( 1 ) Very Interested person
to be able to sell his amp.
No problems at all, what I can see. Power and Very High Power sells ... !!!
;)

In the USA residences are wired for single-phase.

Industrial areas are three-phase 'Y', commercial areas are often three-phase open Delta.

The open Delta will run air conditioners (in food places, shops, and such) and air compressors (in service stations and such), but will damage an amplifier connected to the 'wild leg' (open Delta).

A Crown VZ5000 will do 5KW at 1 ohm, 4KW at 2 ohm, 2.6KW at 4 ohm, and runs off single-phase.

Open Delta is not used for new construction, but is grandfathered in (not required to be up-dated) for older cities.

Most clubs I had to set up sound in were either single-phase, or open Delta, only one was 'Y' (in a three state area).

In the city I live in the old coal fired utility still generates DC for one industrial customer, and to generate steam for the downtown area. The nuclear plant runs everything else.

The crown Ma10K will run at a quarter ohm! Many of these were modified as gradient amps for MRI machines to run the big coils. I have no idea what a gradient amp is or how it is modified but many have been for sale on ebay. I was told that when modified there Freq resp would only go up to 5K. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Trivia, On one tour, Micheal Jackson used 16 Servo Drive subs running of a MA 10K. the sound guy had a DBX subharmonic processor running through a Dunlop volume pedal and out to the amps. when they wanted some low end, the sound guy just stepped on the pedal and cranked those bad boys up!

My jobmate have 4 of them (MRI machines version) in his house! they are not used from now because of the circuitry of preamp is different.. no jack or rca or xlr... only data connector style.. maybe some DAC inside.. but we plan to modify one of those to operate at on 230VAC.. we removed the transfo from one (BIG tri-phase transfo!) and plan to use many single phase transfo in parallel instead of this one.

They are heavy!! more than 100pounds each and they have
82 transistor to-3 inside for the output . some big cooper busbar inside too.

Maybe he is interested to sale some. just contact me about that.

They are in good shape and was used in medical department of university of Sherbrooke.

I was doing contract tech work for SoundValves when they sold these amps. I tested them before they shipped out. Output was only 54 volts as I recall. However they would go down to .5 ohms or so. Do the math. The versions I saw were the gradient drives. I understand they drove the X/Y fields in an MRI.

I used one as a variable frequency source driving a stepup xfmr. I could get 5KW at 45-65hz/240 volts. I did blast the amp a couple times, I think due either to kickback from the xfmr or the low power factor. I pulled the defective transistor out and kept on going. In their original application they had something like a .05 ohm 250 watt resistor in series with the output. The tech manual showed how to series/parallel these amps for more voltage/current.

The design was an H bridge. 4 "wells" as Crown called the heatsinks. Seems like each well had 20 TO3's. You can run these single phase 208/240 but you have to mod the power supply board. Of course output power would be reduced to less than 50%.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.