Need project ideas to fit this chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I have 2 old Bryston 4B amplifiers that I would like to retrofit with new amp circuits. (see drawing attached). Any ideas which existing DIY amp circuit projects might suit these chassis without too much hassle? The hardware is too useful to be sitting in my junk pile.

The chassis are 19" rackmount by 5.25" high. There are 4 heatsinks per channel each one currently holding 2 TO-3 output devices and a TO-220 device. (8 output devices per channel, 16 total in the chassis)

The existing circuit boards (shown in green) are about 4.5" wide mounted vertically and they use 2 daughter output boards. The blue one is an I/O and power board. The existing power supply provides approx. +/-72V rails.

I was thinking maybe a Leach amp, with additional output devices, but I don't know enough about electronics to modify that circuit without serious help from this forum. But any other ideas are welcome.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks!

-- Todd

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Leolabs said:
Seen that you are not know enough about electronics,it's kind of risk to deal with something with such a high power DIY stuff.Suggest that you buy a kitset rather than build by your own.

I have built and even repaired plenty of amplifiers and know enough about it to stay out of trouble. It's circuit design that I don't know enough about yet, but I am learning. Kits don't interest me.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Zero Cool said:
those old brystons are worth at least $600 in working condition and at least 200-300 in non working condition!

PLEASE dont be hacking up gold like this. sell them, use the money to build your own. but please dont butcher the Brystons!
Zc

If these amps were in any acceptable shape, I would completely agree with you. However, they are 25 years old, used at many thousands of concerts. They are completely beat up in every sense almost beyond recognition, and the circuit boards and output sections have been repaired so many times the traces are half replaced with jumpers. That's why my old company gave them to me free.

The only real remaining value is in their hardware to a DIY'er like myself.

So, enough with all the objections, lets hear some ideas.

..Todd

Send 'em here.

taj said:

I have built and even repaired plenty of amplifiers and know enough about it to stay out of trouble. It's circuit design that I don't know enough. Kits don't interest me.

If you proceed I'll buy your old PCB's from the Bryston's and then you'll have some extra cash for new stuff. Buying two new chassis like these in Canada would be in excess of $600 so your logic is not so far off after all. I don't think I'd do it just the same. :att'n:

Show us some pics of the inside of your amps? They can't be that bad?

Cheers,

Shawn.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Interesting thought...

If you (or anyone) can help with my project here, by modifying or designing an amp PCB to work with this form factor, I'll send you the boards free (from one amp.) Since I have two such chassis, there are two opportunities here.

..Todd

Ribbons?

taj said:
Interesting thought...

If you (or anyone) can help with my project here, by modifying or designing an amp PCB to work with this form factor, I'll send you the boards free (from one amp.) Since I have two such chassis, there are two opportunities here.

..Todd

What's in there? How many Motorola TO3's mount on the heat sinks? Do you want to use TO3 devices on the new design? Are you going to buy new PCB's? Are you going to etch your own PCB's? The Bryston chassis is optimized for a certain set up. If you are confident to carry through with it then strip one block down and give us the run down. Anything could fit in there but not anything really. :xeye:

Heck who needs a chassis if you use a UCD module? ;) As john65b suggests? Don't those things suffice from a piece of aluminum foil 2x3cm? :D

Do you really want to tear down such coveted amplifiers? What is wrong with them? It's almost hard to take you serious. I'm not saying they are the best but what is soooo wrong with them that leads you to rip them to ribbons?

Cheers,

Shawn.

Cut 'em up??

" ... I was thinking maybe a Leach amp, with additional output devices ..."

According to the old reviews, the amps were >> US$2000 when new. Are you sure you want to gut them, they had a "20-year warranty"? Example: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/bryston_4b_st.htm

The existing 4B power supply could handle as many as four good modern mono block amplifier boards of >> 100 watts each ... just reconnect the 120/240 VAC transformer (or lock the Euro 240 volt switch, perminently) so that the rails are +/- 36 VDC (instead of +/- 72 VDC). ... Then I might suggest several aussieamplifiers.com modules like two of these : http://aussieamplifiers.com/NX400+.htm ... or four of these : http://aussieamplifiers.com/nx150.htm ... ( here is what I did : http://3dotaudio.com/ampics.html = simple as making a pie )

I might also suggest that you keep all the I/O connections and hardware or you will spend a lot of time shagging new parts.

Before you cut them up, you consider making some trades ... maybe Tom (Shawn) in Canada (above) has something you could use. (You are both in Canada, so shipping should be reasonable ... add an extra US$50 or so, each, to ship south to the states.) Heck, I'd take the worst one and offer something in trade ...

:smash:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Re: Ribbons?

Originally posted by TomWaits
What's in there? How many Motorola TO3's mount on the heat sinks? Do you want to use TO3 devices on the new design?

Two TO3's per HS plus they have a TO220 device mounted on each as well. (See diagram above.) Yes, I'd like to stick with TO-3's since they are a natural fit for these heatsinks.

Do you want to use TO3 devices on the new design? Are you going to buy new PCB's? Are you going to etch your own PCB's? The Bryston chassis is optimized for a certain set up. If you are confident to carry through with it then strip one block down and give us the run down. Anything could fit in there but not anything really. :xeye:

I would make my own PCBs if the design was single-sided (doubtful). I'd buy them if something suitable exists. I might even organize a group buy for manufactured boards if there was enough interest.

As for the run down, I've ripped open plenty of 4B's and have one apart on my bench now. What do you want to know? (that I haven't already described above.)

UCD: The money/DIY ratio isn't right for me. Too much money, not enough DIY. The path should be as rewarding as the destination young Grasshopper. I'm not short of cash, but mounting a module and connecting a power supply isn't exactly my idea of DIY.

Do you really want to tear down such coveted amplifiers? What is wrong with them? It's almost hard to take you serious. I'm not saying they are the best but what is soooo wrong with them that leads you to rip them to ribbons?

Trust me, these ones have used up all their coveted esteem. They work, but the bias trimmer is now used mainly to tune for minimal smoke output :hot: and the chassis are now held together by chunks of angle-iron bolted through the faceplate. :wrench:

I'd like to build something newer, cooler, designed by DIYers like you. I'm learning this craft now and this is a perfect learning opportunity.

..Todd

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Re: Cut 'em up??

FastEddy said:
" .
According to the old reviews, the amps were >> US$2000 when new. Are you sure you want to gut them, they had a "20-year warranty"?

These were built long before Bryston offered the 20 year warranty, and even if that warranty covered them, it would have expired AT LEAST 5-10 years ago.

Originally posted by FastEddy
The existing 4B power supply could handle as many as four good modern mono block amplifier boards of >> 100 watts each ... just reconnect the 120/240 VAC transformer (or lock the Euro 240 volt switch, perminently) so that the rails are +/- 36 VDC (instead of +/- 72 VDC).

Now there's a cool idea. Wish I'd thought of that. Not sure it has the 110/240 option (dual primaries) though. I'll check.

Then I might suggest several aussieamplifiers.com modules like two of these : http://aussieamplifiers.com/NX400+.htm ... or four of these : http://aussieamplifiers.com/nx150.htm ... ( here is what I did : http://3dotaudio.com/ampics.html = simple as making a pie )

See my comments regarding UCD.

I might also suggest that you keep all the I/O connections and hardware or you will spend a lot of time shagging new parts.

Hmm... "shagging" must mean something different in your area.

Before you cut them up, you consider making some trades ... maybe Tom (Shawn) in Canada (above) has something you could use. (You are both in Canada, so shipping should be reasonable ... add an extra US$50 or so, each, to ship south to the states.) Heck, I'd take the worst one and offer something in trade ...

What I'd like in trade would be an amp chassis, much like a Bryston 4B chassis, especially with heatsink and power supply intact! :smash:

..Todd

Angle Iron Bolted Through...

taj said:
Trust me, these ones have used up all their coveted esteem. They work, but the bias trimmer is now used mainly to tune for minimal smoke output :hot: and the chassis are now held together by chunks of angle-iron bolted through the faceplate. :wrench:

I'd like to build something newer, cooler, designed by DIYers like you. I'm learning this craft now and this is a perfect learning opportunity.

..Todd

I'd like to see some pictures of the inside of these Angle Iron bolted together hunks of junk.

Two TO3's per HS plus they have a TO220 device mounted on each as well.

If that is all that is mounted to those delicious heat sinks, then by all means exploit the chasis for something greater. And if you have serviced these before, then you know you want and the old school Bryston ain't it.

Still I want pics.

Shawn.

What up?

taj said:
Don't forget, there are 8 such heatsinks.

..tj

So you are happy with the amount of heat sink to device? Again, why? What is your goal? What do you want to achieve? What is so wrong? Is this it?

Shawn.

Attachments

• bryston_4b_st.jpg
    bryston_4b_st.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 383
" ... Hmm... "shagging" must mean something different in your area. ..."

Not really. Shagging is searching for the "Mcguffin", the object of your desire, the holy grail ... If you spend excessive time fetching exotic parts, you are "shagging" them ... if spending too much time searching for whatever, you are "shagging" sheep, chasing the wool or the golden fleece ... Modern reference: "The Spy Who Shagged Me" = a goofy movie.

taj said:

If these amps were in any acceptable shape, I would completely agree with you. However, they are 25 years old, used at many thousands of concerts. They are completely beat up in every sense almost beyond recognition, and the circuit boards and output sections have been repaired so many times the traces are half replaced with jumpers. That's why my old company gave them to me free.

Todd,

Show us some pics? Must I remind you...A picture is worth a thousand words. You can leave out the 1k in words on your cool thread if you just give us more light.

Jah,

Shawn.

I guess I'm just a visual kinda guy.

Have you tried the NS LM4702C Chip? +/- 75v although I suspect it could go higher “A” and “B” are +/- 100v
I have upgraded 3x medium power stereo amplifiers in recent weeks with this chip and the improvement in sound quality is spectacular.
I made a tiny PCB for the Chip and the 15 other small parts (see the NS applications note)
As long as your output transistors and driver transistors are still OK you could do this mod for less than $10.00 as NS are sampling for free.
The only problem is this is a stereo chip and some amplifier layouts may not be upgrade friendly.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Okay, here's some pics...

That amp in your photo is a MUCH newer model. Maybe an ST or SST, mine is a plain old 4B.

The pics show the heatsink assembly. 4 smaller heatsinks per side mounted onto a stamped steel wall.

The front panel shows the holes that used to host the notorious angle-iron bracket bolts.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.