Nad c340 input selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having problems with the input selector. I seems like all the inputs are active at the same time, so the signals get mixed and distorted.

Does anyone know if it's a common problem in these models? What should I check out first?
Does anyone have a schematic for this amplifier?

Can someone who knows point out on this pic where the actual input switching is? I was looking for some relays or something but can't se them..

Attachments

• dsc00222resized.jpg
    dsc00222resized.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 611
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi nlinus,
At a closer look i seems like it's the Toshiba TC9273N that makes the shifting between inputs.
Yup.
Is it possible that this component may have broke in such way that all the inputs are activates at the same time?
Yup. Also check all your ground traces to make sure it didn't blow open, possibly destroying the chip at the same time.
Maybe you can measure it with an ohms meter?
Hi vbro,
Nope. Don't do it.

-Chris

Does anyone know where I can buy the TC9273N-010?
I have googled for about two hours, but can't find anything but dealers that sells quantities like 1000items and more.

Is there a big difference between the models? I have found -007, -008, -009, -009... ...

Hi,
a solid state input selector!

Is it worth saving/resurrecting?

What about inserting a real switch selector and hard wiring the switch output into the PCB after that Tosh chip? (That is deliberately derogatory!)

Or

making up a relay switching selector PCB?
There's sufficient room in there for many projects!

i'm beginning to hate soft switching..........
had a kenwood receiver with a lightning hit. after replacing the 12v standby xfmr, found out the processor was shorted and the power relay coil was open. after replacing those, found out the input selector chips were bad.... at that point the customer said "forget it"...... his old '70's kenwood receiver that he brought in at the same time had a bad regulator transistor, and that was it.....

the version numbers may be firmware revisions.... try to get the correct one if you can, otherwise the chip might "miscommunicate" with the processor or control panel keyboard.

Pars: Thanks! Have been looking everywhere for that (obviously not...)

Unclejed613: Yes they seem to be very fragile.

I have done some troubleshooting, please tell me what you think.

I started by leaving the amplifier off, and disconnecting the preamp from the amplifier by removing the 'whatevertheyarecalledinenglish' from the rca-sockets om the back.

I connected a signal source (cd-player playing Guns n' Roses) and started to do some measuring with my oscilloscope.

1. The amplitude of the signal seems to be a bit stronger on the input where the signal source is connected, but I got a bit confused because of the relatively high amplitude on all inputs.
However, I noted that on all the other inputs, the amplitude is weaker on the negative side.

2. Still with the amplifier off.
I measure the signal on the inputs of the TC... I discover that the signal is strongest on the input corresponding to the rca input to which the signal source is connected.

3. Amplifier on...
I now get identical signals on all of the rca inputs and on all of the TC... inputs.

4. I measure on the pre out rca connectors and find out that I get the same signal no matter which input is activated (not surprising according to #3).

5. The TC... is switched by sending 18 bits serial data through the 'Data' pin. Kind of hard to measure (with my low end el cheapo oscilloscope), but at least I can see that there is some kind of activity going on every time I switch inputs.
Also, if I connect the oscilloscope to the pre out connectors there is a small interrupt in the signal each time I switch input. This must mean that the TC... at least gets a Data signal, but does not manage to do the correct switching.

Conclusions
With the amplifier off, at least there is a measurable difference between the selected input and the other inputs.
With the amplifier on, all the inputs get connected together. The TC... gets Data signals when switching inputs, but it seems like all inputs gets connected together.
It has to be the TC... that's the faulty part.
Or am I wrong?

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi,

Guess I'm little late into this thread.
Glad that the problems got sorted out.
A great resource for finding Japanese semiconductors, at least for us Swedes is JEC.
Their search engine is a bit tricky however. One must use space in the search string, such as: "TC 9273N"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.