MOSFET amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found this amplifier design in a text book so I had a go at simulating it in LTSpice. In the original design the transitors were 2N929 and 2N657 but i've swapped these for BC547 for the simulation.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the FFT analysis (not shown) there was a very large second harmonic (input stage used ?) .

Looks like a bit of a unstable design.

Has anyone ever built an amplifier like this ?

There are lots of oddities: both FETs have the same average gate potential, the lower boostrap/feedback circuit seems completely awkward, etc.
In addition, even if the problems were to be fixed, it wouldn't be a very good circuit, with all the RC couplings, the need for a tightly regulated supply, the ground referenced to the negative rail, etc etc. It is a lousy text-book design and you' d better design something decent from scratch rather than lose time with such a lame duck.
LV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.