Amplifier Av-800

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi broka,

I thought I already mailed the PDF with my last mail to you. Unfortunately I did not recognized the 'tiny' text at "Attach file:" which states a maximum size of 102400 bytes for the attachment and guess what ... - the file I tried to send you was 169 kbyte - sorry for that.

Now I've divided the PDF in 4 parts (the update version 03022004) plus the older version (22022001) which comes with this mail right away.

I hope you get lucky with it ;-)

Attachments

• av800 mosfet amp - 22022001.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 910
It was (as far as I remember) officially downloadable from his early homepage (two years ago I guess, because of the date for the updated version). I didn't changed a thing on the documentation except that I "disassembled" the PDF to post it here caused by the 102400 byte limit and I never received or downloaded it via any illegal paths or from illegal sources. So everybody could have downloaded it all by himself.
Besides, if anyone would himself calculate the prices for the kits Anthony E. Holton sells he would figure out that it would cost less money to buy the kit from him and get in addition a professional made pcb.
To have a schematic and a description is one thing - to make a good pcb, select the right components and finally a stable running amp is something totally different. Therefore I heavily recommend to everybody to support Anthony for his good work for the DIY community and if anyone decided to build his amp(s) (i.e. based on the schematics and therefore on Anthony's design) he should in deed consider to buy his kits.

Greetings

Corax

Amplifier-200Rmspower_(very small))

good, I have a good contribution that to make, I give you this schematics, of this circuit, very excellent, him and proven, and they don't have any problem, inclusive with the temperature

Attachments

• stk4050 pcb color.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 558
Hi Corax,

Since you are expressing you opinion on this, I would like to ask you one thing : the original designer surely has copyright (or whatever it is called) over circuits design by him. What if someone 'design' a pcb for his circuit? Does the original designer has any copyright over anything related to his circuit? I am not trying to raise a debate, I just want to know.

Hi folks,

first of all my answer to broka:
As I mentioned in my answer to edl, I've provided the documentation as is without any textual change. I cannot provide you with any PCB layout or silk screen layouts. My advice would be to buy the kit at http://aussieamplifiers.com/
I know that many DIYers are keen on doing almost everything on his own - I did this in my early years too, but soon I decided to buy as much as possible as DIY kits, except for the things I cannot buy as a kit of course - but when I calculate all my efforts (time sitting on my computer, chemicals for etching, special tools I might need, etc., etc., etc., ...) I must tell you that the kit price Anthony offers is unbeatable, in particular if you experience problems by getting hold of all quality parts as transistors, bulk and other high quality caps, power resistors, and so on. Please take my advice and buy a kit from Anthony, I know what I'm talking about, in particular if you're not so skilled in electronics and building high-power amps (since I don't really know your skill level I have to apologize that I think you're an amateur).

Now my answer to bigpanda:
I agree with you that someone will hold the copyright of a circuit designed by him. But in this case the circuit design was always a secret from the beginning on - that includes absolutely no detailed publications prior to his copyright announcement. I often revisit audio related and/or DIY homepages after a while and I noticed the change(s) on Anthony's page and it saddens me that he removed many (if not all) links to download the schematics or documentations. For instance my colleague gave me once a URL which holds many (if not close to all) old homepages. I even digged out a homepage from the company I'm working in that was 8 years old(!). Furthermore I checked it with Anthony's homepage and they started archiving his old homepages beginning with 6th of March, 2001, with all further upload history. I must admit that not all link destinations, PDFs, pictures, etc. are archived, but as I went through it again (today) I was impressed how much was archived from his old pages (i.e. many high quality pics).
Okay, back to the copyright stuff. The design from Anthony (concerning the AV-800) is no big secret at all. A symmetrical design with standard partial schematics (did Anthony took care of the copyrights/patents of the partial schematics?) composed to a working amp. I ran it once through a simulation and the results were okay, nothing overwhelming (in my eyes), just a good and solid design. The secret to get a theoretical design working in practice is, besides other things like component selection, a question of a good PCB layout. There are certain guide lines but many (if not all) designs rise or fall with the correct PCB layout. If someone else is designing his own PCB for a given, and not self designed circuit, I won't be sure if this is a copyright violation. It is heavily impudent what most eastern companies (i.e. China) are doing with trademark violations. They copy the originals in sometimes best quality so that even experts have trouble to figure out if this or that is a fake. But this is a 1 to 1 copy of the original and they try to sell it under the original trademark.
In addition it's a big difference if you 'copy' something for a professional (mass) production or you just have specially made it for your own use in a quantity of one or even two units.

Well, if I can win other DIYers for Anthony's design after all, to make his design more popular, we'll take all our benefits from this: He sells more kits, DIYers are more pleased and satisfied with his design and are more keen on new designs and kits from Anthony (like the class-D amp I'm really keen on).
However, I can only warn everybody to copy (1:1), produce and sell units and running your own business based on it - this is in deed a copyright violation. As long as it concernes DIYers, building one or two units for evaluation purposes the laws, as far as I know, go uniform with my opinions, but I'm no laywer/attorney, so I've to apologize if I'm mistaken in this point of view.

Talking about designs and ideas, I'm really, really, really disappointed about how in the USA are patent violations etc. are treated. I still remember the case with the OSD (On Screen Display) included on most computer monitors and TVs. Can you imagine that the simple bar graph, showing you graphically the position of the i.e. brightness, saturation, volume, etc. are patented!!! Many manufacturer had to pay for all monitors and TVs (having this OSD feature) a certain fee to the patent holder, for all already sold ones and of course for all being sold in the future until the patent 'retires'.
Even ideas (proven in practice or not) can be patented in the US. That's really ridiculous in my opinion.

After all, I can only tell that I'm no expert when it comes to paragraphs, rights, violations and so on. And I deeply have to apologize if I'm mistaken with my opinions.

Resumée:
We're here in a DIY forum and I must take into account that professionals are not really looking here to copy a design for their own business. However nobody can prevent that they at least get some new and maybe thrilling ideas provided by the community. I see no copyright violation if I post a documentation that was on a previous homepage of someone and, at that point of time, downloadable for everybody.
Furthermore I cannot make sure that the posted documentation is up to date and error free, so everybody how uses it does it on his own risk. For the current version you have to ask the designer himself.
Last but not least, to calm down all people having the same opinion as 'edl' I consider to contact Anthony myself (if he still doesn't know about it) to ask for his opinion and 'benediction' after all.

Hi Anthony,

I'm really pleased with your offer, it touches deeply my DIY heart, and I guess I speak for many DIYers that this bargain you offer beats almost all thoughts out of anyones mind who considered doing the PCB himself (in particular I'm talking to broka). Broka, take that chance and you'll be a lucky DIYer, I'm sure.

By the way, Anthony, I almost started to write a mail to you concerning my possible copyright violation of your amps in my postings. If you don't mind I'm not sending it anymore to your hands, because I got the mail notification from the forum (based on your posting) and was, as I already said, very touched by your kind offer. I would've never expected such a good bargain and it was never my intention to push you (in any way) to that exceptional offer. It appears to me that your heart is still with all DIYers and we'll support you in all matters. Keep up your good work, I continue revisiting your homepage because it's always good for positive surprises ;-)

To my own regret (I must admit) I'm not taking the chance myself to buy the PCB from you because I stick more or less to class-G, -D and -T designs of amps and this decision was made many years ago. In my early years I build a lot of the 'heavy' amps with large heatsinks and monstrous bulk capacitors. Then I turned into someone who liked it neat and tiny and converted to a follower of the less dissipating amps buried in 1U (44mm height) 19inch racks. Well, everything is a matter of philosophy - and my one are those 'tiny' amps with sometimes tremendous power delivering capabilities out of a small volume - in particular if used in conjunction with SMPS (switched mode power supplies). DIY designs in this particular case are mostly suffering from rigidity and wrong component selection.
The 'heavy' style amps are much easier to handle and to repair. If you have, for instance, a self oscillating class-D amp (i.e. SODFA) and it doesn't oscillates at all, you have to check the complete signal path. Well, that's just an example and it could be really thrilling (and will give you a lot of headaches, I can tell you) to find out what went wrong with this design.

Okay, before I go off at a tangent I better came to an end.

Again, I really appreciate Anthony's posting and his 'benediction' and all he has done, is doing right now and will do in the future for the DIY community (and possibly not only on www.diyaudio.com). Thanks in the name of all DIYers.

Greetings

Corax

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.