Marantz SR5400 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jonhny
I would have to agree.Could be just some dirty Tone ,volume or function select controls. You may not need a schematic but they are good to have if cleaning the controls doesn't remedy the problem. Does the marantz have a tone by-pass switch? Engaging it would by-pass the tone control circuit and give you a output straight thru the flat amp to the power amp. This would help narrow down the problem area. Look the preamp sections over for electrolytic capacitors that have swelled up or split open or gotten hot and shrunk down the plastic label sleeve. Isn't troubleshooting fun ! Great stuff . ;)
Good luck Dave

Jonhny
I didnt realize this was a multi-channel surround sound reciever/processor. Have you tried any of the other processor modes. I suppose you have already tried just plain" jane" stereo mode. Which channel are you having problems with?This could very easily be a processor malfunction . It is probably all digital switching so that kinda eliminates a dirty switch, You could try cleaning the volume control if its accessible.Anything beyond that a service manual is going to be a must have. That and a real strong background in digital techniques.;)

I have a SR5200 working ok at present.
did look inside to see what mods could be viable.
It does have possibilities;)

I have ordered the manual last week, just waiting for it now.

Should be similar to the SR5400 i think.

Which channel is playing up?
From digital in and analogue in?

It uses CS4391 * 4 DAC's, CS493263 DSP, TC9459F Volume control ic.

Could make a decent surround preamp.
power amp side is pethetic.

allan

I took the cover off mine a couple of weeks ago
from memory (which is not good)
Didn't take the pcb's out.
It has one pcb for preamp in and out.
Couldn't see which opamps it used but probably uses them for buffers in/out and a digital volume chip.
Saw a lot of small electrolytics on the pcb, probably one of these.

when i rec manual will post back with more info

If problem with analoge in also.....
doesn't sound like dac dsp or digital side.
just simple preamp prob, eg bad cap, earth etc?

allan

awpagan said:
I have a SR5200 working ok at present.
did look inside to see what mods could be viable.
It does have possibilities;)

It uses CS4391 * 4 DAC's, CS493263 DSP, TC9459F Volume control ic.

Could make a decent surround preamp.
power amp side is pethetic.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this post caught my eye...

Thanks for posting that info Allan. I have been curious about the DAC's in my own SR5200 for some time now, but haven't as yet opened it up to look..

I agree that the 5200 has an awful power amp stage. I am using mine as a pre through a NAD amp for large bookshelves (which double as HT fronts), and as power amp for the surrounds & centre. Your comment about it having 'possibilities' has piqued my curiosity. Have you performed any tweaks?

Thanks,
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.