Acoustat Trans-Nova Twin-200 biasing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2006, 11:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustat Trans-Nova Twin-200 biasing

Tweaking one up for a buddy, and I've got a schematic, but no information on bias setting. This MOSFET amp uses three pairs of 2SK135's/2SJ50's on each channel, and no source resistor. There is a fuse on each of the +/-72V rails, so I can pop out a fuse and measure the total current going to all three devices.

At the moment, there's about 330mA crusing through the output stage (so about 110mA per device, if they're shaing well). Is that about right? Or should it be set to something else?
Old 2nd December 2006, 01:34 AM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Glenn,
That's in the ballpark. I think the target value is 100 mA per device, so 300 mA in yours.

Are you smiling yet?

-Chris
Old 2nd December 2006, 02:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Smiling through chattering teeth after shoveling the driveway and walk...all that wonderful snow you sent down here.

Nice sounding amp for sure. I like it. Simple, but blown transistors would be a problem to locate. I dunno how familiar you are with this, but its the first 100% MOSFET amp that I've looked at. Very simple design, but with a wierd 'Delta-Y' thingie (tech-term) in the feedback loop. Seems to do the job though.

I heard that these are supposed to be 'The Thing™' for difficult loads...
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:58 PM   #4
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Glenn,
Quote:
Smiling through chattering teeth after shoveling the driveway and walk...all that wonderful snow you sent down here.
No. You guys are sending it this way. It's been around 50 ° for a week here (in US measurements). It's just starting to get cold now. But don't worry. It will get miserable around here soon enough.

I didn't like the sound of it at all. It has it's own sound for sure, and not my cup of tea. KBK has one.

-Chris
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:42 AM   #5
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Acoustat Trans-Nova Twin-200 biasing

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
blown transistors would be a problem to locate.
Not too much of a problem if you are willing to mount TO3P devices instead of TO3 (which is possible in most cases)...

Hide this!Advertise here!