can you bypass internal crossover on BASH plate amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im looking for a bunch of amps to run active for my 3-way dipole speakers and the current BASH plate amplifiers from partsexpress.com look EXTREMELY attractive

The 300 watt @ 4ohm costs only $105 shipped and the 500 watt costs $159 shipped

I'd like to run 3 per tower, so 6 total (1 for Peerless HDS 1", 1 for Seas W18E, 1 for Dayton RS15 HF)

Im not sure exactly if these will work "full-range", this is what it mentions for its line level inputs:

I looked up information on the BASH plate amps and it mentioned this:

"For connection to a full-range stereo line level signal, use the left and right line level inputs, the on-board low-pass crossover will be in effect. For connection to the subwoofer out on a home theater receiver, use either the LFE input to bypass the internal crossover or the Left or Right input for additional crossover flexibility."

Has anybody had any direct experience running these amplifiers? I'd like to know if I can bypass the internal crossover, and run them full-range. Thanks

From reading the section you quoted it would seem that the LFE input bypasses the internal crossover. You could plug your mids and highs there and it should work.

I suspect that the BASH amp would not be very good for top end use, but I could easily be wrong.

BobEllis said:
From reading the section you quoted it would seem that the LFE input bypasses the internal crossover.

It doesn't quite work that way...there's still an XO at a relatively low frequency. It looks to me like a 3rd Order at ~230Hz. Definitely only for subwoofer use.

I haven't had a chance to go poking around the board, but I hope to over Christmas break.

Pink Trace = XO set to ~50Hz
Light Green = XO to ~100Hz
Red = XO to ~150Hz
Blue = "LFE" setting
Dark Green = 2nd Order HPF 31Hz 1.4Q, 3rd Order LPF Butterworth 230Hz

I think you can get some full-range plate amps from Apex Jr., & there was at least one thread about modding an amp from MCM (I think) for full-range use.

Good luck--

Greg

Attachments

• bash_500.gif
    bash_500.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 106
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.