Denon PRA-1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jan,

I have some tech info for the PRA-1100, maybe a second version of the PRA-1000 ??

It use M-518-P op-amps with cascaded JFET front end and dc-servo, and for the line amp they use M-518-P with a pair of N and P channel JFET follower.

BTW,
under the 1980`s Denon made two great pre-amps, the PRA-2000 build with discrete op-amps, and then the PRA-6000 a unique design with discrete non feedback high volt symetrical amps.

Maybe some of you have one of these ???

--Bo

I just picked up a PRA1000 on ebay for $30. It is pristine in appearance but I've yet to hook it up yet for a listen. I'm not real smart with electronic gadgets but can replace most board stuff without a glich. The only thing I've picked up so far in this thread that I can do is to replace the opamp LM4560 with a better one. What would that opamp be and is there anything else I can do to better the sound of this unit? I did receive owners manual with it and original specs are very good.

Makin it better

I'm getting ready to order all new electrolytics for my PRA1000 and would love to upgrade the IC's. I'm looking for help in selecting drop in IC's that would upgrade the sound on this pre. The opamps inside are:

NEC C741C Qty 2
JRC 4558DD Qty 1
JRC 4560DD Qty 1

All are 8 pin DIP. I do not have schematic yet so I have no further info. but have ordered service manual. If anyone can help me with alternate and better parts I would be much appreciated. My capacitor order is on hold until I figure out what I'm buying for IC's. Digikey has several options.

Thanks in advance.

No I didn't. I bought some Texas Instrument replacement IC's (specs were a little better than orginal), all the replacement electrolytics, and they all set in a box as I haven't touched it. Bought a fancy Sony digital pre and a Accuphase pre, some speaker drivers, and that project took a back seat. It'll be awhile before I tackle it so I can't help answer whether it'll sound better or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.