high quality 10A dual voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
peranders said:
High quality is a bit vague. Have you any more data than 10 A? Input min-max voltage? Output impedance? Regulation properties? Speed? Short circuit protection? Over heat protection? Etc.

Is LM338 good enough for you?

Sunrise, please answer Peranders's questions, otherwise we cannot help you!

i don't like LM338 - if i wanted to use LM338 i would use it long ago - but i don't like it - i like discrete better - and also something better than LM338
i wanted somebody to tell me if found some nice very good quality voltage regulator that can supply power amplifier of 50W and voltage output of 30-36V dual .....how difficult that answer can be....i don't want to talk about parameters - this and that - i only want to find very good schematic that will SOUND good when used to power the power amplifier.....

in short i need the best i can find - i know that this is relative but i need opinions - that this or that one is the best for power amps ...if you know what i mean - so that i can decide which one to use...what to use...

regards
sunny
:(

This one is very good..fast response to 20 amperes variation

Hardly tested since 1975 when was used, by the first time by Ampex Video Tape machines.

As everything in our audiophile word, has room enougth to customization, as you can change things to adapt your own needs.

For sure, the output will use a lot of transistors in parallell to match higher current needs...some modification may he needed to match audio performance.

Everybody loves Sunrise!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• klingen supply.gif
    klingen supply.gif
    75.4 KB · Views: 689
oh my ...i did not saw that one - very good eyes Powerbecker.... really they are wrong way....:)

very nice - my regards and compliments
i am happy:D

p.s. it seems to me that also 5k6 resistor in negative part of the regulator is missing...? right?! and maybe that 10nF cap in negative part is not connected to the base of the TIP transistor..?

Thanks Sunrise, i have made another revision in this diagram.

I hope that now everything is OK.

If you perceived something wrong...just tell me and will be fixed.

I am not perfect.... i need your cooperation.

This circuit was very interesting when i made changes in the eigthies.... i have selected parts with higher gain and i have included darlington components...the result was very interesting..when too much current was needed, the voltage, different than be reduced by consumption...shown a positive regulation...giving me 3 volts more during peaks of consumption...unfortunattely, "that" diagram was lost.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• sunrise founda.gif
    sunrise founda.gif
    94.7 KB · Views: 303
Observe dear Sunrise, despite beeing a consequence of an error

That voltage variation i had in this supply can receive a very pretty name....not from the minority that usually has bad mood...but my people...the goodwill people may understand this way.

We may call..... Super Dinamic Supply regulation system tracked by consumption.... you may call something alike SDSRCT.

The mistake...the error can be understood as a discovery.

Observe that in the moments your amplifier will suck enormous current...during the audio peaks...when you have the expectation of loss of supply voltage...you may have the opposite..this will produce the Effect of dinamic....much more punch during your transient needs.

The Effect was sligthly better than those class H i have around...those Panasonic Systems that are using dual wiring to each channel/speaker...and 4 amplifiers separated inside the same chip case....having 2 Sub Woofer channels and 2 Full Range channels each chip.

I continue to made this supply to Ham Radio Transceivers.... adjusted to 13.8 Volts and able to jump to 20 Amperes following audio waves....in a supressed carrier system...the old and good Single Side Band Transceivers (SSB).

When i finished that activity...reducing the repairs i used to make, and also reducing the HAM activity because of computers that can do it better using on line communications.... as a result, this supply schematic was lost around.

It was used by several companies...including Sony.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.