Problems with Carvin PB500 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm having problems with this amp. I replaced the main MOSFETs with IRFP240/IRFP9240. I found that I don't have -15v past R108. The resistor is hot to the touch and loses -5v. At R58 and R8 It's down to -10v and past them it's down to -5v. So what is draining my voltage. Could Q1 and Q51 be the problem? This site wont let me upload the schematic so I have to show the link instead.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/proaudio/500wstereopowermodule.pdf

Yes, when I take the 15v leads(QC3 & QC4) from the transformer off the board they meausure 15v but it is alt. voltage. The diodes d101 thru d108 make the voltage DC. The -v drops -5v right after R108 and it gets hot to the touch. could P101 be the problem. It looks like it balances the voltage to the IC 102A (Realy Threshold)

You should disconnect H1-3,+15V,H1-4,-15V,H1-5 from the power amp section and protection circuitry.

Those are all on a connector that's 10 pins long. I can't isolate individual pins. Should I take the whole harness off? H1-5 & H1-3 do measure 15V.
I took off the whole harness and the voltage drops are still there. There must be a circuit or semiconductor that is draining the voltage. Like I said earlier there is a 5v drop on the negative side thru R108 and it's only a 22 ohm resistor. Something downstream of the -15V rail is draining the voltage. Any ideas?
I called up Carvin and they won't fix it. They said it's too hard to get parts considering it's 15 years old.

Update: I just realized my output voltage at the speaker output is maxed out at +70V. Somehow my input stage is getting voltage to turn on the mosfets. I also measured +40 at A2 IC pin #2. The max input voltage for that chip is +/-18V. So I have some problems. I suspect a diode somewhere has failed and is letting some of the high rail voltage (70V) get to my input stage.

I'm just going to replace all of those transistors. There are so many back circuits on this board. THey don't test shorted but they do allow current in both directions, like i said could be back circuits. Capacitor C3 and C53 look like they are bulging a little. Why are those caps so big for an input signal of only 3Vrms max?
I'm going to replace those too along with the IC op amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.