Testing a fried Marantz SR50 - any tips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz SR50 I got for free. It's toast, but I think I can fix it, and the output FETs are about 3$ each, anyway.

The diode rectifier bridge was blown (I replaced it with a RadioShack bridge), and while the control section seems OK, one of the channels (if used) instantly engages the protection relay.

Now, for a dumb question - what's the best way to test the individual transistors? Do you think an output transistor is blown (an easy fix), or one of the preamp transistors is blown (a hard fix)?

Those are audio transistors not mosfets. If you have a dmm 1.)remove the transistors from the circuit . 2.)measure from base to emitter and from base to collector and from emitter to collector .3.) now reverse the test leads and make the same measurements they should measure similar to a diode. High resistance one way and low resistance with the leads reversed. If any combination reveils a zero ohms "bingo" LOL

XEAGLEKEEPER said:
Those are audio transistors not mosfets. If you have a dmm 1.)remove the transistors from the circuit . 2.)measure from base to emitter and from base to collector and from emitter to collector .3.) now reverse the test leads and make the same measurements they should measure similar to a diode. High resistance one way and low resistance with the leads reversed. If any combination reveils a zero ohms "bingo" LOL

D'oh!

Will do. Anyone know where I can find replacements?

EchoWars said:
Digikey sells Toshiba 2SA1962 and 2SC5242 that will work fine. Overkill for your amp, but they'll be tougher to blow up.:bomb:

Is there any real difference between the two?

I'm presuming I should replace all four, but is any matching necessary, or should I just cross my fingers and install?

And, finally...with beefier transistors, would the amplifier in any way benefit while driving four ohm speakers?

Also, the 2SC5242s are non-stocked items.

Very interested in this...My SR-50 is also fried. I powered it up and it continually blew the mains fuse. It powers up ok without the output transistors (Hooray!) but one of the large resistors gets smoky fairly quickly. I'd really love a schematic for this unit, any help would be excellent....
Blake

Oh wow this thread is over ten tears old now - and that SR-50 is long gone having worked well. I have another one now - same issue. One channel fried. Replaced that side, ran for half an hour before another 'pop' and lights out. I think the other channel has probably taken it out. I'll replace the full set this time and see what happens. More testing to do.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you recently bought these replacement output transistors from a Fleabay etc. seller, its likely since another 10 years have now passed, that these obsolete style parts are now fakes and will fail at realistic power levels anyway. That's possibly why they they worked for some time until the system warmed up, then the usually undersized and weakly mounted chip fails when called on to deliver a reasonable amount of power.

It's better in the long run, to fit current style replacement output transistors in a TO3P or TO247 package. These may be better performers too but will require a new mounting bolt hole and more than a little tinkering with with leads. However, if the parts can be adapted sensibly and without damage, you can at least have a reliable amp. as a result. Otherwise, there's not much that can be done without genuine replacement parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.