Taking advantage of parasitic properties

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried to think of ways to use parasitic properties of components to your advantage, but have had no such luck. I believe that many people on DIYAudio could benefit from such discussion and I myself am wondering what can be done with techniques based on this idea. Any examples?

-keantoken

typically this is not done because parasitics are not well controlled. it is done in the IC industry sometimes in digital circuits.

i guess it depends on what you call parasitics. the only time i've really seen heavy use of a parasitic effect has been:
1.) diode temperature coefficient -- for thermal sensing circuits.
2.) tunnel diode -- designed for small signal negative resistance
3.) varactor -- designed to have a controlled parasitic capacitance.

in many designs, the parasitic resistances can provide a form of feedback. if you can adjust the parasitic resistance, it might be beneficial.

i guess it comes down to what a "parasitic" is. things like diodes have an interesting V-I curve, but it can be useful,

Thanks for replying, theChris.

This could probably be done a lot easier with chips because the specs of the components are predetermined within certain boundaries when they are mapped to the silicon or whatever base material.

I am well aware that this kind of thing could be very tricky. I think you could make an RF rejecting circuit if you utilized the junction capacitances of transistors well enough, or counteract AC hum by using an inductor (as an antenna) in a critical stabilization feedback path. By posting this thread I am asking many people on DIYAudio to think way out of the box, and this isn't the first time. I at least hope to get a few more replies, maybe an example, and even a "don't bother" to end it if this is the predetermined fate of discussion on this topic.

Anyways, parasitic is to me properties that detract from performance in normal components in everyday circuits. But it can also be a product of Mutual Bi-Cameral Inter-Space Transmutation of Time-Perspective Observation from one point in the universe instead of all places at once. AudioFreak should know something about this, he's a Warp Engineer.

:)

-keantoken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.