nakamichi amplifier 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This one?

I think it's about 80w/ch, probably from the mid-80's. Should be reasonably robust (think middle level Rotel/NAD) and probably cost about the same.

If there's no power or capacitor problems it'll probably give you as good a sound as anything rated 80w in todays money.

Otherwise, check that it's working and eBay it:)!

Attachments

• amplifier 1.jpg
    amplifier 1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 940
The "Amplifier 1" is a relatively rare integrated amp model from 1988-90, if I recall correctly, and was simply a "Receiver 1" without a tuner. Sadly, this was the model year after Nak stopped licensing Threshold's "Stasis" amp topology, so it won't sound as good as it could have, but it is still a very open, spacious & fairly smooth amp. Not as bulletproof as Nak's stasis amps & receivers, but much more reliable, nevertheless, than the average Denon, Yamaha, or etc. If it's in very clean cosmetic condition, I'd say it's worth $200-300. But a stasis receiver like Nak's SR-4 or SR-3 is a far better sound and value in the same ballpark.

You could try switching to 2SA1294/2SC3263.
SOA of those is 1 Amp higher at 100Vce than the originals, and are considerably faster.
ISC(Inforcomm) in Taiwan is supposed to produce these as well, some state they're preferred over Sankens.

Or, if you're an amp hacker and there's a way to squeeze in a parallel duo : 2SA1186/2SC2837.
Extremely fast, and much lower Cob.(about $5 each in GB, $3.50 here, $2 in the US)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.