audiolab 8000a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Photo-3

Attachments

• img_3362-4.jpg
    img_3362-4.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 466
Hi,
I have seen a reference to BD devices used in the 8000a.
Your output stage looks like it might be one of those.

It would appear you have 2pair of To220 packaged output devices.

When you consider the opposition were using To3 2n3773 in quasi or (worse 3055) then I suppose that is not as bad as it looks.

Thanks everyone for the help, i cant find any links to seperate the pre power supply, but i have taken more detailed photos of the amp and found i think, the most damaged part of the amp see pic.
It shows 4 resistors burnt out but i dont know what damage has been done to the transistors and capacitors around the same area

Attachments

• -dam.jpg
    -dam.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 343
Hi,
those two aluminium plates and the three transistors sandwiched in between are probably the drivers and Vbe multiplier.

Could the burnt resistor and cap at the bottom be connected to ground? Are they the Zobel network? If so, then oscillation could be the cause.

Try to tie in the schematic to some of the PCB. Give us some clues.

edit
The two 4r7 in the middle are probably the Zobel.

What causes predrivers to blow? Shorted output stage?
Where are the drivers?

Dave,

The burnt bottom resistor is the one that supplies the front end from the main rail, as on the later 8000 edition.
You can see the thick supply tracks shine through the board on both sides of the circuit, and zener diodes connected to it on both sides as well a bit further down the pcb.
It forms a low pass filter with the foil cap. next to it.
If that resistor is burnt, it means the pre-driver is dead.
Pre-driver diseased=> the corresponding driver damaged or dead too.

The lack of bigger drivers makes you wonder whether the output devices are not Darlingtons.
For regular output transistors, the minimum driver size would have to be a TO126 device.
(unless it's a mosfet output stage, which additionally would make the small TO220 devices look more natural)

The ones between the aluminium plates are flat TO92 versions, such as Zetex ZTX devices..
That leaves the outer real-TO92 ones as the drivers, likely MPSA versions as the 2d and 3d edition had.

Hi all Its difficult to follow the track but it looks like the burnt out resistors do go to the sandwiched transistors and down through the zener, i have also found another three transistors which were sandwiched by aluminium strips one which has just fell off i dont know where the other is. I will post more photos.

Thanks dave.

Attachments

• line run.jpg
    line run.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 365
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.