Need small coupling capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Default Need small coupling capacitors

I would like to replace the electrolytic coupling capacitors in my pre-amp and DSP but I have too little room on the boards for big poly caps. Anyone know of any small decent caps I could use? They currently use 4.7uF@50v between NE5532s (changed from 4558s). Would it be useful to use small value, high-grade bypass caps across the electrolytics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Black Gate N 4.7uF 50V are great for signal coupling and PSU duties, and not too expensive....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 11:37 PM   #3
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cowican Bay , vancouver island
You can also use good quality Metal Film or Mylar Caps which are Much smaller than Poly caps but offer simular performance and can be found for a fraction the price of Poly caps....

I recently picked up 100 0.1uF Metal Film caps for about $3.....

  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 05:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Huskvarna
Look for Wima MKS2 or Evox Rifa MMK. Both uses metallized polyester film (mylar). 4.7 F/50V are 7.2x7.2x13 mm. Pitch is 5 mm. Wima can supply 6.8 and 10 F too but with a lower voltage rating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 06:51 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
is the pre a valve (tube) type or opamps?

If opamps then you don't need 50V cap rating.

A metallised plastic film is better than any exotic electrolytic. But they are usually bigger.
Search the catalogues to find something that fits.
BTW 4.7uF in that 7mm package is very small. You will struggle to find anything smaller.
regards Andrew T.
Sent from my desktop computer using a keyboard
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrolytic coupling capacitors ? heater Chip Amps 20 11th December 2010 11:24 PM
Polarized capacitors for coupling NIC1138 Parts 7 1st June 2007 08:37 PM
AC coupling capacitors... Frazzled Solid State 8 30th June 2004 06:28 AM
differences between computer grade capacitors and small can capacitors LBHajdu Pass Labs 0 22nd February 2002 01:29 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2