Matching Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2001, 12:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Super_BQ Send a message via Yahoo to Super_BQ
I know that matching FETs and resistors can be a benefit but does anyone know if there's any gain in matching capacitors? (having exact uF values). To be used for all areas (signal path, passive speaker xovers, etc.)

Old 10th October 2001, 02:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Matching capacitors is often worth the trouble for something like a phono stage, where you're trimming frequency points in the audible range, and hoping to match the RIAA standard to less than .25 dB. It's also nice for crossovers.
For things like DC blocking caps, power supply bulk storage, and the like, I wouldn't bother.
Note that the rationale here isn't quite the same as the matching of gain devices. It's to hit an objective standard (such as the RIAA curve) or to match the left and right channels for image and tonal stability. For gain devices, you're seeking equal current sharing. Caps (and resistors, for that matter) can easily be found in pretty tight tolerances, whereas gain devices vary widely due to manufacturing tolerances.
I'd love for someone to show me a cheap source for 1% tolerance power MOSFETs...

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!