20 KW amplifiers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2001, 08:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

i bought a audiobahn awt34 subwoofer for my car. I need at least a 5000 watt amp that can drive a 1 ohm load. if at all possible ill take a 10 or 20 KW amp for competitions.
does anyone know where i can buy a big amp?

[Edited by yeehaw on 10-08-2001 at 02:54 PM]
Old 8th October 2001, 08:34 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

You're going to try to pull (20 KW / Efficiency) of power from a car's electrical system? What are you driving?
Old 8th October 2001, 08:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dutch diy
Wink Re power supply...

You're supprised things ppl to to their car..
A local shop sells 12V 1F capacitors [yes: one Farad] for use in car 'hifi' setup's.
Try to charge that: the engine of any normal 4-cylinder just dies...
Old 8th October 2001, 08:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default 1 farad caps not big

i know my buddy bought a 50 farad cap for his car and added a couple extra batteries. He needs to upgrade his alternator though
Old 8th October 2001, 09:59 PM   #5
hifi is offline hifi  Sweden
diyAudio Member

50F att 12V? witch low esr/esl ?? (not for backupp= are you kidding me?...do u realise how big that cap would be??

/micke
Old 8th October 2001, 10:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default How its done...

Generally, you use multiple amps in some interesting ways. Big jobs like this typically use one amp as a voltage source. This in turn drives lots of other amps simply as current sources. Music is not the test, spl is. That leads to other problems. The drivers must be time aligned to the measurement point, so the mulitple drivers are delayed so that thier wave hits at the same time. Visualize the method that the Germans proposed for thier superguns, where additional detonations are added as the projectile passes. Obvioulsy, the pressure wave must be added at exactly the same time. The absurd high end of these "vehicles" are often measured over 170dB. No human could likely survive in these.

Multiple amps is the only way to do this. Building a 20kw amp is not hard, we do it all the time in broadcast using multiple solid state modules. It is stupidly expensive.

But to answer the question, you will need multiple amps. Build one simple as a voltage amp. One gain stage. Then build as many current supplies as needed to meet your goal. Bunches of MOSFET's are needed, both for the switching powersupplies (they can be slow and nasty as nothing over 100hz is needed), and then the current stages. Your drivers will likely max out at 1kw each, and only a few can be on the same time alignment depending on your driver layout. Rinse and repeat. Be prepared that the top of the line sometimes run over 40kw. BTW, you are not going to buy this - someone is going to build it.

Think piece - just how many MOSFETs will he need for 40kw into this 1 ohm load? Remembr sound quality is not important, neither is high freq.

[Edited by Sawzall on 10-08-2001 at 04:33 PM]
Old 8th October 2001, 10:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default 50 farad cap?

im not kidding heres the manufacturers website
http://www.alumapro.com/cap.html
and at sweet 16 pounds it isnt to big
Old 9th October 2001, 04:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

err, sorry I obviously missed something. The point of all this is ...?
Old 9th October 2001, 05:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Not to worry about how many MOSFETS are needed but more to worry about the 50 foot trailer needed to tow the cooling tower,pond,heat exchanger,and generator unit around behind the car just to keep the whole thing from melting down!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Salt Lake City, UT
Old 9th October 2001, 11:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default The point of it?

This is an engineering exercise for some, a compitition for others. It is not musical for this extream care. However, it does have benefit for us in that anytime someone explores the envelope, discoverys are made that we can use. They call it dB drags, and like racing, some of the technology will creap down to us daily drivers. For example, the 1 Farad caps are now reasonable in price (and coming up in voltage too - think of these rated at 100volt at $100 bucks each and how much simpler will your power supply problem become?), and have added some real help to my mear mortal of a car system to resist the voltage drop that even a car battery will see when suddenly faced with an instant 50 amp current draw at 13.8 volts- not that uncommon when driving two 12" subs with even modest levels. (My car has a total of about 1kw of total amps for 10 drivers - high, mid, low and sub) In the past, the rails just drooped and clipping was not far behind.

Some of the switching power supplies that are common in lots of gear nowdays is rooted in car technology (Soundcraftsman was making these 20 years ago). Its made it a great deal cheaper for all of us since these devices are made in the thousands instead of the hundreds that "audiophiles" would have bought. Driver makers are learning a great deal since they have a steady market for big drivers that must deal with huge loads - how long ago was it that a woofer driver would have bailed out at a few hundred watts. Now days, they often can see 1000watts RMS. Sure, most of that is "unmusical" but the technology is used by drivers that we want to hear.

People are exploring 5.1 technology in cars, which is great since soundstage is difficult in cars. This will benefit all of us - think of it as the space race. Sure it was expensive for the pioneers, but we as a whole sure gained a lot from it. For example, they are figuring out ways to deliver that wattage without the need for the cooling towers. How to time align drivers in an exact way. Signal processing. I can go on, but you can see some of the challenges they face and figure out how to overcome. It will trickle down to us. Take in a show and you will be amazed at the quality of the sound they are getting out of thier cars - sure lots of system are built just for thump, but many more are built and judged for true sound quality (winning cars eq to less than .2 db flat) and the car is a much tougher case than your living room.

So like ProSound gear, this segment offers cubic bucks thrown at the designers - we get the benefits in our segment as they learn more.

(Sorry for the length)..

Hide this!Advertise here!