20 KW amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
car fi amps

hi.

44v in cars in 2004.....

nice to think that we allready have the boards / modules for that :)

bye k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. 12v to 44v dc-dc converters arent too expensive or complicated either (for those who cant wait to 2004...) and they give an extra bonus as the high voltage could be say 60v dc.....(or higher if you like)

Interesting that anyone would even think about considering an AWT34 for dB competition or anything else. You'd be MUCH, MUCH better off with 5 or more ALUM12X subs for SPL efficiency, sound quality, price, not to mention that you could get 15 of them for the price of one AWT34! Just imagine how much better off you'd be! Instead of 127dB, you'd have 150dB.

Well anyway, Harrison labs makes a 20,000 Watt amp that stores energy for 30 seconds of run time from a normal alternator. It drives as little as .25 ohms! It costs $2499.

This place has everything I've talked about:
http://nexxon.com/products.htm

[Edited by Kilowatt on 12-07-2001 at 01:03 AM]

If you are going for quantity over quality I'd ignore everything not class-D, for efficiency's sake.

And since you're in a car, looking for efficiency in the 40-80Hz window, why not try using pro audio woofers? Many are more efficient then 95dB @ 1W/1M. They won't play as low as traditional subwoofers, but most will play low enough. Although the enclosures might be way too large.

I have an interesting question, I'm not trying to criticise, but what is the puropose of huge systems that only go for SPL, and whose builders and buyers care nothing of sound quality. I know there are dB competitions, but if volume is all you're after, and the sound quality is so horrible you can't even listen to music with it (and enjoy it too, or even recognize the song), why even use speakers and amps? Why not just put a huge siren in your car and say "my system can reach 190dB, and your puny little 50,000W system with all those amps and subs can't even hit 160dB."?

car audio fanatic

Why? First i would have to say respect among the car audio community. Its a tight knit group yet fiercly competitive. Second i like to feel my bass shaking my car. And competition rules state the frequency must be below 80 hz and i havent picked up any girls with a siren in my car.

Good point, I bet you haven't, but I once heard someone say on a forum, and it's a good point, that if your sound system is the only thing about you that girls like, you have some work to do. It helps anyway though. Anyway, I like heavy bass that I can feel in my chest too, I just like clear midrange and trebble to go with it. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

By the way, I'm curious, how does that AWT34 sound? If it's ok, my opinion of that speaker just got better, but I suspect it can't reproduce you tunes very accurately, am I right?

[Edited by Kilowatt on 12-12-2001 at 12:28 AM]

Hello. I've been lurking for a little while, decided to sign up and pipe in since this subject gets me going.

Ok switching power supplies. You'd be surprised what they come in. If I'm not mistaken National Semis was already shipping both buck and boost regulators to the masses in the mid 70s.(I'll have to hunt for some old databooks to be certain) The only question is when the speed of the switching was fast enough to make audiophiles happy, although any true audiophile still prefers a good ol tube amp for true reproduction. God points, but I stand away from your thought of the audio industry being the first to use widespread switchers.

As far as why people would compete to see who is the loudest. Why do people race cars? why do people play football? why do people compete in any sport. To see whose technology is better, and whose engineers can keep up. I used to compete in the IASCA SoundQ 301-600 Amatuer competitions and you'd be surprised at what kind of people acutally show at theses events. It takes money, so usually it's not your average street thug usually, especially in the SQ events. In SQ you're rated on your install, you equipment presentation is appearing different from stock form, you get many more points the closer to stock you appear to be. Then the the ultimate test. a mic and a RTA plopped down in your front seat and the true test of manly hood. blank track, turn the volume up all the way to see the SNR(although you can use noisegates to cheat that a bit) then the reproduction and time alignment of your system. It gets pretty hairy and oh so competetive.

The trend is changing though as technology advances more and more things are possible who would have thought I would ever have squar subs in my trunk. Who would have ever thought I'd have 3 LCD screen with a dvd/mp3 player as well as a playstation 2 in my car. To me it's whatever floats your boat. My time is getting to precious to spend competing since I have a son to watch over now, but it won't ever stop me from having an obnoxious system in my car.

And for the guy looking for the 20kW amp.. Why? the most I've ever seen a driver be able to handle is 1800WRms and thats the the old mechanical Cerwin Vega Stroker 18", which only needed about 7 cubic feet of airspace for .707Qts. You'd be better off getting a DVC driver, and driving each coil with a meaty amp, the only drawback is setting the gain on the amps to be as close as possible to identicle for maximum effect. one of my friends is competing iDbl Am. 600+ with only 8 fosgate bd1500's running 4 kicker L7 15s in ported enclosures taking up the entire rear of a yukon denali, and he's pulling 161.2db. If you want competition try the lower iDbl classes like the 151-300 or the 301-601. Then it's tough. Trying to squeeze the most boom out of a limited resource.

My commuter car :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.