Interesting output stage idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at a book and messing around on my sim and managed to throw together an interesting idea. The biasing mechanism is Q3/4, and there is a feedback path connected between Q3/4. R5 is adjusted to put output closest to 0DC at no input, and C6 acts as a highpass filter to increase NFB at high frequencies to cancel out parasitic oscillations and such. This is pretty much designed as a variation of the SymAsym output stage, as it is the only amp that I have looked at for a very long time :D . This is a class A output stage on my sim, but my sim seems to be a bit weird lately so you may not exactly get 20mA peak output current on your sim.

I know that injecting feedback between two diodes in an amp is pretty much like suicide, because of the natural unlinearity of diodes, but since I am still not up to date with all this technostuff I decided to get a second opinion. Who knows, maybe the nonlinearities cancel out each other when they are combined in the output track. It seemed not to give too bad results on the FFT, though. If you want to know what my FFT looked like, don't be surprised if it doesn't make sense as LTSpice seems to have problems with generating suitable sine wave input (on my system at least).

Here's my schemea:

Attachments

• ampoutidea.png
    ampoutidea.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 644
Symmetrical Darlingtones, with OE, biased using Zeners in feedback, work in A class, with parallel feedback by voltage. Very critical to power supply, since output stage bias current is the function of power supply voltage minus break-down voltages of reverse-biased base-emitter junctiuons of Q3, Q4. I already mentioned today break-down of reverse-biased base-emitter junction voltages that are nos specified by manufacturers, but for DIY or in monolytic IC it should work well.
However, distortions will be very low, especially on low output power that is especially good.

hello again!

so, what is the voltage cross R1 and R2
At 5+5 volt I would imagine it to be like 4.2-4.3 volt.
This means the idle current in output is 4.3/22 ~ 0.195 A = 195 mA

The voltage gain is maybe more or less like nothing.
Rather less than -1.
Have you measured putting 0.5V RMS at input
and see what the output will be into 8 Ohm?

lineup

As far as I know there are two main uses of feedback:

1: compare against input and apply result to correction point to correct nonlinearity.

2: accurately tune important currents in a circuit to give accurate output.

I was meaning the feedback in this circuit to be #2, but does it also function as #1?

In theory, using the transistors as diodes will more accurately bias the important transistors, which is why I used this arrangement. Do you think that this output stage is suitable for a HIFI amp? You seem to be telling me that my idea will work well. Thanks!

Here is the FFT I took:

Attachments

• ampoutideafft.png
    ampoutideafft.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 440
I forgot to mention that I supposed resistors to be connected to opposite rails, in such case it will work well, if powered from voltages more than Vbe-reverse-breakdown+2+Vbe-forward+drop on emitter resistors, otherwise Darlingtons will be always nearly saturated.
Also, load resistance must be at least 10 times more than 8 Ohm.

Lineup!
Welcome back. Seems you were missing for a while! ;)

The voltage across the resistors is 4.2V-4.3V (exactly as you guessed!).

Anything above .3V on input gives massive distortion (may be a slight problem).

Humor: I am such a goof :rolleyes: . I accidentally unplugged my computer right after posting this. :eek: (for real)

Here is the output at .5V input:
My toaster would probably sound better than this. :clown:

Attachments

• ampoutidea5mvin.png
    ampoutidea5mvin.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 383
keantoken said:
As far as I know there are two main uses of feedback:

1: compare against input and apply result to correction point to correct nonlinearity.

2: accurately tune important currents in a circuit to give accurate output.

I was meaning the feedback in this circuit to be #2, but does it also function as #1?

In theory, using the transistors as diodes will more accurately bias the important transistors, which is why I used this arrangement. Do you think that this output stage is suitable for a HIFI amp? You seem to be telling me that my idea will work well. Thanks!

Here is the FFT I took:

As I said before, if to connect resistors to opposite rails it will be one idea, if to leave them as is it is another idea.
In first case your "diode-transistors" work as Zeners and the amp is biased to give high output swing. However, for high output swing your feedback resistors (resistanc of source and feedback resistor) must be selected for voltage gain at least 5.

If to leave everything as is as lineup mentioned output transistors will be close to saturation and maximal output voltage swing will be very low.

But I like the idea of symmetrical common emitter stage with deep NFB by voltage (your amp has 2 feedbacks, by voltage and by current).

If to develop it a little bit it will be a very good amp.

Increased load to 100 ohms... Or was that just to help prove a point?

What values would you suggest for those resistors?
edit: Decided to do some math (sorry...). Would 10 ohms work? ~3V across R1/2. With these values, current into an 8 ohm load goes to 15mA peak with almost no 2nd harmonics whatsoever.

I have discovered a flaw with this arrangement: The base currents of the output transistors aren't defined as much by the output resistance, so increasing the load will actually cause overdriving. Am I right?

keantoken said:
Lineup!
Welcome back. Seems you were missing for a while! ;)

Missing, maybe ...... maybe not

People without ideas, will not contribute to much audio improvements.
People with new ideas, will not contribute to anything really better than known ways.
At least Not very often. That's a fact.

Lineup Estimation.
Out of 50 new audio ideas a few people get:
--------
:eek: 25 ideas will not work at all!
:xeye: 15 will work, but not as good as best known stuff.
:cool: 04 will be working something like best known before
:att'n: 01 IDEA will be an improvement in some way :att'n:
--------

lineup - a man of new ideas .. but not many hits, so far

keantoken said:
Increased load to 100 ohms... Or was that just to help prove a point?

What values would you suggest for those resistors?

I have discovered a flaw with this arrangement: The base currents of the output transistors aren't defined as much by the output resistance, so increasing the load will actually cause overdriving. Am I right?

First of all, let's forget of your interesting topology completely and concentrate on details.

If your amp is working on 8 Ohm load resistors in emitters of output transistors are too high.
How much of voltage swing do you want to get?
Suppose, one transistor is completely closed, another one is completely open. It means, 5V goes to your 8 Ohm load through 22 Ohm resistor. It means, that the total resistance is 30 Ohm, current is 4.5V/30 = 150mA.
Voltage drop on your speaker will be 150mA*8=1.2V peak.
Is it efficient?
I don't think so.
Let's take at least 1 Ohm resistors in emitters.

Now, for class A operation let's idle current will be 250 mA.

It means voltage drop on 1 Ohm resistors = 250 mV.

If to add 2 times voltage drop on directly biased B-E junctions of your darlingtons voltage between bases of transistors and rails will be approximately 250mV+500mV+500mV=1.25V.

Suppose, HFE of each transistor is 100, in such case maximal base current of each input transistor will be 500mA/10000 = 50 mkA.
Ok, let's take current through biasing resistors 10 times more, 0.5 mA.
It means that base of npn transistor will be connected to the negative rail through 1.25/0.5 = 2.4K resistor, base of pnp transistor will be connected to the positive rail through the 2.4K resistor. Each base is connected to output of your amp through 3.6K resistor, there are both biasing and NFB resistors. No need for any capacitors yet, let's try without them!

Now, let's connect input to both bases through capacitors and a resistor in series with them. For voltage gain = 1 you need 1.8K resistance.

Try this.

Okay, I did what you said and came up with this. I processed your instructions to my greatest ability. Sorry if I aggravated you, but I am new to this kind of environment and it will take a while to adjust to it.

This is what I came up with:

Attachments

• ampoutideasim1.png
    ampoutideasim1.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 216
keantoken said:
Okay, I did what you said and came up with this. I processed your instructions to my greatest ability. Sorry if I aggravated you, but I am new to this kind of environment and it will take a while to adjust to it.

This is what I came up with:

It works, but you have now very high dynamic output resistance due to feedback by current (through resistors in emitters). Some people love sound of such amplifiers, they highlight properties of speakers.

Now, connect point of interconnection of resistors R10 and R11 to the output of the amp for feedback by voltage to reduce output dynamic resistance for better damping of speakers. However, it will decrease overall voltage gain.

If to connect output of CD player to your amp you may get very good "audiophile" sound, if speaker is good.

That last curve, after modification, shows good results.
Across speaker is +-0.4 Volt peak.
If the red curve is the input, there is in fact a gain x2.

It is very hard to get best performance at such low voltage as +5 -5 = 10 V.

I suggest you raise the main voltage for your experiments
to, at least
+12 and -12 = Total 24 Volt DC

Myself often use +- 15-20V = 30-40V total.

This is for power amps.
For pre amplifiers we can use low voltage
for example with 9Volt or 4x1.5V battery operation in mind.

lineup

lineup said:
That last curve, after modification, shows good results.
Across speaker is +-0.4 Volt peak.
If the red curve is the input, there is in fact a gain x2.

It is very hard to get best performance at such low voltage as +5 -5 = 10 V.

I suggest you raise the main voltage for your experiments
to, at least
+12 and -12 = Total 24 Volt DC

Myself often use +- 15-20V = 30-40V total.

This is for power amps.
For pre amplifiers we can use low voltage
for example with 9Volt or 4x1.5V battery operation in mind.

lineup

In such case he needs to increase values of R10 and R11, the amp highly depend on powering voltages.

And still decrease values of resistors in emitters. Low voltage gain is because of this resistors, of their ratio to speaker impadance.

Wavebourn said:

And still decrease values of resistors in emitters. Low voltage gain is because of this resistors, of their ratio to speaker impedance.

Absolutely!
Those resistors should be like 0.5-1 Ohm for 8 Ohm speakers.

If using some fair level of global feedback
they could of could of course be even lower value ~0.10-0.22 Ohm.

The procedure would be:
1. change emitter resistors to power transistors to a lower value
2. adjust the rest of circuit for a suitable idle current in output transistor stage
3. new testing

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, a large capacitor in my monitor exploded, sending shrapnel of nearby resistors ricocheting around in it's enclosure :bigeyes: . I am going to look around in it and see what I can salvage. Probably an extremely dangerous discharge of the image tube or at least something wrong with the supply. :devilr:

Okay, I did what was asked (except increasing the supply) and came up with this. I doesn't perform near as well as in the first sim, but maybe I messed up somewhere. V(n011) is the output voltage. I have added a fifth plot - Input, so we have a small reference. Here it is:

Attachments

• ampoutideasim2.png
    ampoutideasim2.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 99
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.