Car woofers destroys normal amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
Hi,
I know that the deterioration in my car's structure and fittings is considerable and this is all due to vibration generally from external sources.

I also know that similar deterioration in my house has NEVER been evidenced. Our earthquakes are never above 4.

Why should it follow that a speaker cannot shake a car apart but can shake a house apart when my experience shows the opposite to be possible?

The "myth" they were testing in that episode was not to see if bass could shake things loose over time. They were trying to prove or disprove if high SPL can instantaneously make car windows explode(not crack), doors and tires fall off, etc.

When I said they don't know anything about speakers; I mostly meant their general construction. They made the surround so tight I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I'm sure you can find the episode on the net. Watch it and you will see what I mean.

On the topic of speakers causing structural damage to houses or cars, I will mention that I notice structural degradation of my house most likely caused by the operation of my stereo.

It is evident that there's a lot of vibration going on since small plants on end tables and dishes in the cupboards are visibly vibrating and shifting.

The only things I really notice going on with the house's structure are apparent softening of certain things like the floorboards, door fittings, windows, etc. It is rather interesting.

There are a few acute artifacts though; one being that at high enough SPL and on certain frequencies, the power meter attached to the outside wall vibrates enough that the disc jams against the front flange. It doesn't stay jammed, just rubs while it's vibrating. Obviously too loud. ;)

Yeah, the same applies at my place. We have to 'adjust' certain things so that they don't fall over. Paintings falling off the wall has been a problem. Books falling out of shelves is another.

A friend had similar funny ocurrance with his stereo; he had it set up at his father's place and during our listening session, an entire selection of curios worked their way into a terrified bunch at the back of the china cabinet. A wine bottle worked its way out of the wine rack and blew up on the bedroom carpet. Needless to say, there was proof of what had happened when his father got home.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.