Decisions... P101 vs. P3A vs. SKA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in building a good quality, clean amplifier at ~100Wrms. The amps I have been looking at include Rod Elliots P3A, P101 or the SKA.

My Background:
-Mechanical Engineer
-Some experience building electronics projects (PSU's, a 20W IC amp, and others)
-24 years old
-Listen to a variety of music (Rock, Country, R&B, Reggaetone, etc...)

I currently use a Harman Kardon AVR100 (50Wx2 or 40Wx5). I also have a Peavey CS800 (400Wrmsx2 Bridgeable to 800Wx1). I would like to use the CS800 for a subwoofer amp and construct, for starters, a Hi-fi 2-channel amp. I have further dream systems floating in my imagination (tri-amping or 5 channel Home theatre system...) but I think a 2-channel DIY amp is a solid foundaion to start on.

I found a large transformer (estimated 800VA) at a surplus shop for $20 cdn. I am willing to adjust the secondary windings to achieve the necessary voltage and CT.

I do not want to mess around trying to make a good PCB, I would rather trust the professionals and purchase one.

"I found a large transformer (estimated 800VA) at a surplus shop for $20 cdn. I am willing to adjust the secondary windings to achieve the necessary voltage and CT"

give a bit more detail on the tranny
eg, centre tapped?, ac volts
It may give a lead to which amp is more suitable

allan

Awpagan,

The transformer does not have a CT and is currently ~100Vac . Being a large transformer, it will not be too difficult to adjust the number of windings and create a CT.

Pinkmouse,

I have not heard much of the Krell clones amps. In terms of technical support and PCB cost/availability, would this be similar to the SKA or Elliot projects?

Would it be fair to rank as follows:

1. SKA
2. P101
3. P3A

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RyanW
I don't think support is an issue with any of these. All are about even there.

A Krell clone has an advantage that you can listen to the real thing first to see if you like it. Sometimes the extra expense is better for the job, sometimes not. I don't know where AndrewT is getting a 4 to 10 X factor here, I do agree the Krell will be more due to more parts.

Your power supply voltage is too high for a Symasym (they do sound great though).

So it would be best if you can have a listen to them. You migh look at Hugh's Dean's amps too. I hear he has some newer ones with even higher performance. Support is also very good from Hugh.

-Chris

Hi,
the expensive parts are the:-
transformers,
smoothing caps,
output devices
heatsinks.
Comparing a KSA50 to a P3a I would expect the transformers to be 3 times more expensive.
The smoothing 4 times more expensive.
The output devices to be 3 times more expensive.
The heatsinks to be 10 times more expensive.
The KSA100 Klone is likely to be at least 50% dearer again and maybe double the 50Klone cost.

That initial estimate gives Ryan a clue on whether to pursue the Klone route further.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
True, buying at list. But I suspect most of us would look at dead things for heatsinks and possibly transformers. I haven't bothered doing a costing on the BOM for each. Have you? He already does have a power transformer too.

If another amp offers higher performance, it may be worthwhile too.

Any coment on Hugh's amps? I was just wondering if you'd heard them as well.

I am just trying to keep an open mind here.

-Chris

I appreciate the great feedback.

Sounds to me that the SKA is probably the way to go. From reading other reviews it seems that it has better sound quality than P101. As far as I have read on the forums, neither is drastically different in price from the other. Are these fair statements?

Never having listened to an audiophile quality amp, do you think I will notice the difference in these amps? How does the sound quality compare to a Harman Kardon?

Thanks again for the valuable input.

Chris, AndrewT,

I've watched this thread with interest. It's always interesting to see what motivates the final choice for DIYer.

Mostly, it is the desire to learn about assembly and the need for something inexpensive.

My products are more expensive than any of the alternatives offered in this thread. There are reasons for this, but I won't go into it here.

The essential difficulty for any kit or pcb manufacturer is that the DIY business model is not viable long term. Not enough profit to cover overheads, R&D and service time. That leaves the talented guys who want to give their designs away, and there are plenty of them, so the market becomes subsistence.

I've just released a new amp module to existing AKSA owners. It is called the Lifeforce, and delivers quite extraordinary performance because there are unique topology features and very carefully chosen components. But this amp is expensive, and cannot be sold into the DIY market. People who know my products are prepared to pay, however, because the subjective performance benefits are up there with the best high end products in the market.

The SKA will be fine, but equally the P101 and the Quasi amps are very good too.

Cheers,

Hugh

Never having listened to an audiophile quality amp, do you think I will notice the difference in these amps? How does the sound quality compare to a Harman Kardon?

You ought to go out and listen to some proper hifi. Don't build any of these kits if you expect true audiophile quality sound. I'm afraid I haven't seen one kit mentioned here whose design has the care and precision that I consider necessary to achieve the excellent sound audiophiles expect. Not even the Krell clone projects. They may well sound better than your HK though.

That being said, audiophile amps are for really serious, perfectionist music lovers. If you are looking for a good DIY experience, low cost and a fair sounding result then all the kits you've mentioned are probably fine. Curiously, the Australians seem to have cornered the kit market. :)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ah, let him be.

Those in the know have already built their own DIY amps, and sold off their "audiophile" amps costing 10 times more, made some money to build some more hehe.

Anyway, any of these amps will sound nice, and probably slightly different rather than clearly better or worse.

P3A owner...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.