Quad 405-2 mods - which ones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all,

yes, i searched.

i recently bought a clean 405-2 and 34 preamp (although I'll probably just use the amp).

it sounded very intriguing right out of the box, compared to my McIntosh MC60's and KEF Calindas. lots of midrange bloom and excellent spatial properties. the high frequencies seemed sort of recessed and grainy though.

i opted to leave it with my friend friend who runs an audio restoration business. he's basically a brain with feet, so i trust him ;-)

basically, he's researching, but what's the best combination of mods between Ludwig and the dc-daylight mods?

we ran a square wave through the amp as is. it's tilts it pretty badly on a 4 ohm load. is this just the current limiter or a combination of various maladies that would be remedied by the mods, lowering the impedance which trips the limiter circuit and new op amps. do you guys leave the dumper transistors alone or upgrade those as well?

thanks,
Robby

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.