ESP P3a protection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Frome ESP P3a webpage:

"Note that like the original, there is (still) no output short circuit protection, so if speaker leads are shorted while the amp is working with a signal, there is a very real risk of the transistors being destroyed."

If I use a fuse or two on the speaker terminal, will this be enough protection for the output transistors, if I get a short circuit?

Hi,
a fuse is too slow to protect semi cons.

Putting in a smaller speaker fuse to speed up the cut off will make the distortion even worse.

A far better protection system is fast acting IV limiting for near DC conditions and slower acting to allow the transients through.
Then put in supply rail fusing for longterm overload to prevent the heatsink overheat taking out the current limited transistors.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
a fuse is too slow to protect semi cons.

Putting in a smaller speaker fuse to speed up the cut off will make the distortion even worse.

ACD said:

mikeks and roger-k;

A small "F" fuse may protect the output....
Please note the may in my respons in post 2 :D

Fuses running close to their specs. generate significant distortion at LF, and will, moreover, NEVER succeed at opening fast enough to protect your semiconductors.

Additionally, they can in no way be expected to compute the power dissipated in your output devices (alias: SOA protection).

A complete faux pas old chap. :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.