Yamaha RX-V490 Amp Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
har2k is offline har2k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha RX-V490 Amp Problem

My Yamaha RX-V490 receiver powers on but the audio from any component is very low and filled with pops and static. I can barely hear any audio output. This is the same when the output is through the speakers or the headphone jack. I connected a tape deck to it and plugged the headphones in to the jack on the tape deck. The sound was clear with zero static, but the volume knob on the receiver has no effect on the volume of the music when listening through the tape deck's jack.

I've been told that it's probably an amplifier section problem but will need a service manual to attempt to replace the amp ic's, if possible. I would appreciate any advice if repairing it myself is possible. I have some experience repairing audio components but am definitely not an expert. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email a service manual to har2k@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Old 29th October 2006, 07:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Manual

If you don't get any hits for a manual . You can try Ebay store -Vintage Audio Manuals - his moniker is techman777. I've bought yamaha manuals from him before" excellent reproductions". Did you say both channels popping and crackling. You may just have a powersupply problem. Hard to say without a schematic diagram.
Old 29th October 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Pop open the cover and look at the large electrolytics in the power supply section to see if they are swelled up or leaking.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Default Re: Yamaha RX-V490 Amp Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by har2k
My Yamaha RX-V490 receiver powers on but the audio from any component is very low and filled with pops and static. I can barely hear any audio output. This is the same when the output is through the speakers or the headphone jack. I connected a tape deck to it and plugged the headphones in to the jack on the tape deck. The sound was clear with zero static, but the volume knob on the receiver has no effect on the volume of the music when listening through the tape deck's jack.

I've been told that it's probably an amplifier section problem but will need a service manual to attempt to replace the amp ic's, if possible. I would appreciate any advice if repairing it myself is possible. I have some experience repairing audio components but am definitely not an expert. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could email a service manual to har2k@yahoo.com. Thanks.
I do have a RXV590 service manual.Are you interested???
Old 1st November 2006, 09:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In response to Xeaglekeeper, yes, both channels are popping and hissing when the volume is turned past 15% (anything other than very low). Can you tell me what the large electrolytics in the power supply section would look like and I'll take a look.

In response to Leolabs, I would appreciate the service manual for the RX-V590. It seems very similar to the RX-V490. If you could email it to me at har2k@yahoo.com it would be extremely helpful. I've repaired some electronics before but this is my first shot at a receiver repair. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

They look like plastic coated aluminum cans approx. 1 " or more in dia. and 2.5"-3.5 " or more tall. May look similar to photo in size and shape,Color maybe different. Probably two identical or maybe four. They will be the largest of there kind inside the unit.Look for oily fluid leaking onto the printed circuit board under them. Or swelled up like" a can of soda left in the freezer".Or the plastic cover has shrunk down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1.jpg (30.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:38 AM   #7
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Hi har2k,I have send the service manual.
Old 2nd November 2006, 05:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Xeaglekeeper. I appreciate the info and photo. I'll take a look and post what I find.

Thanks for the service manual, Leolabs. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 4th November 2006, 02:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Xeaglekeeper, please see the attached photo of what I think are the large electrolytics that you mentioned. There is a white fluid (dry) under both of them, running onto the circuit board. Please confirm that this is what I think it is and if it is, what I need to do to replace them and if I need to somehow clean the gunk off of the circuit board. I appreciate any help that you can give. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0006.jpg (57.7 KB, 104 views)
Old 4th November 2006, 04:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is a better picture. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0006.jpg (96.2 KB, 88 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!