Where to get balance controls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm collecting the parts I need for a TVC project, and the only real stumbling block I have is trying to find a stereo balance control for it...I don't need anything made from ultra-pure silver or anything fancy, just something with a center detent that will work well. I need to have the part beforehand so I know what size hole needs to be drilled for it...

Thanks in advance.

You can use pretty much any Linear Pot in some circuits for a Ballance controll.....

With the Wiper in the Middle Position the resistance on either side of the Pot is equal but when you adjust the wiper in one direction the Resistance increases on one side of the Pot and the other side decreases in a linear manner which makes it suitable for a Ballance controll....

So you would connect one Channel to one side of the Pot and the Wiper and the other channel to the other side of the pot and the wiper...a Dual Ganged linear pot would also work.....

I have seen lots of center dented Pots for sale on e-bay so that might also be a Place to look....

Cheers

If you are going to the expense of a TVC, then a variable resistor balance pot is a travesty! Sorry.:rolleyes:
Instead, consider using a second rotary switch to vary the tap of one channel vs the other. This assumes some reasonably small steps being available on the transformer of course. If not, then use the switch with some precision resistors. Or, just use precision resistors between taps to increase the resolution if it is not quite enough.
Howzat?

dhaen said:
If you are going to the expense of a TVC, then a variable resistor balance pot is a travesty! Sorry.:rolleyes:
Sorry if my suggestion didn't meet your standards. I have no idea what a TVC is.

Edit: I found TVC Communications, Total Video Converter, Traditional Values Coalition, Tanana Valley Campus, and lastly, I found Transformer Volume Control. Perhaps the original poster ought to define his terms and help others help him.

Echowars, my point was that having spent (probably) in the order of $300 for a TVC to avoid the shortcomings of a potentiometer as a volume control, it would be counterproductive to then add one in the form of a balance control into the signal path.

Yesterday wasn't one of my best days for discretion...:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.