Possible Counterfeit 2SA1302's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

As some of you may have heard, my P68 sub amp recently blew after a not too strenuous test (IMO).

I've cracked open on of the dead 2SA1302's that blew in the test, and the die measures 3.5 x 3.5 mm. This I believe is a little on the small size for the power ratings of these chips. The die looks similar to the picture of a counterfeit 2SA1302 on Rod Elliott's site here.

If anyone has pictures of a REAL 2sa1302, or has a dead one lying about that they don't mind popping open (I used a vice with the component sideways to crack the epoxy), it would be great to hear from you. I have ordered 2 more and will wait on the verdict (or these one's to blow) before taking it up with the supplier.

Any opinions as to whether it's a legit chip?

Cheers
Jonathan

Fake 2SA1302

John,

Toshiba had already stopped production of the 2SA1302 and getting reals ones are very difficult while really bad fake ones from China are readily available which will distort or blow up once heavy loading is imposed on it.

You could probably try the newer 2SA1943 and 2SC5200 pair from Toshiba which are updated and supposedly better replacements from Toshiba. As they are new and readily available, no fakes have been detected yet. Hope this helps.

My 2 cts.

ckt

DJK ,

Motorola ( ON ) power tranzistors are the most counterfit products in all world.
I know that you are a Motorola big fun and I regret to make this afirmation becouse I like very much this brand. I have hundred MJ15003/15004 (counterfit) or similar burned bought from prestigious distributors .

I have never received a counterfeit part from an authorized distributor.

Note: there are only seven authorized distributors in the whole USA

There are only three in Australia and they are all branches of the USA distributors.

There are only five in Germany and all but one of these is a USA branch.

I too have been stung with counterfeit Motorola parts. But they were not from an authorized distributor.

Yes DJK, that is the true.
Unfortunately in Europe ( where I leave ) is the best market for counterfit products.

In my opinion , ON Semiconductors ( and other manufacturers , too ) is not interested about DiY market and don't sell direct to small buyers. This situation is a gold mine for counterfit products manufacturers .

Dan

djdan said:
Yes DJK, that is the true.
Unfortunately in Europe ( where I leave ) is the best market for counterfit products.

In my opinion , ON Semiconductors ( and other manufacturers , too ) is not interested about DiY market and don't sell direct to small buyers. This situation is a gold mine for counterfit products manufacturers .

Dan

i order these and other transistors directly from ON - i power test and match every pair i recieve and have yet to find a "fake" one. I just ordered another 20 pairs of mjl1302/3281 and mjl21194/21193 and should be done testing by the end of this week. i will sell extras on my site if anyone is interested.

I found some counterfiet 2sa1306s in my parts drawers. They were drawn to my attention after the same local supplier supplied me with counterfiet Sanyo 2sc3676s.

If anyone wants a scan of them let me know. The packages and printing are slighlty different.

I bought it to the attention of the local supplier but they weren't interested. They did however refund my purchase. Whether they were keeping quiet because they were burnt as well I don't know.

I will give them another test soon and purchase the abovemnentioned items again to see if they are still supplying.

Looking at the items that are counterfieted, I would say that discontinued transistors are likely targets by the unscrupulous.

Rod Elliot article

Rod Elliot (sound.au.com) has just added an expanded article on this subject. There are several other devices to watch out for.

Big shocker was reports of buying some fakes through Digikey! I'm sure DigiKey was just another victim.

Add this to the rationales for using NTE "equivalents" (grr, grumble) -- who's going to conterfeit those, eh? I used to install Radio Shack AM/FM/tape units in my car on the same logic (who's going to rip that off when they can get a good Blaupunkt right down the block)?

Yep - One of the dies measured a measly 2.5mm square!!

I sent Rod 2 of the suspects, and the 1302 I sent failed quickly under a SOA test, and he popped it open to discover a 2.5mm square die - that's less than 1/6th of the genuine device.

There is no way these 1302's are legite.
The 3281 I opened has a decent sized die (5mm square at least) but I'm still not sure even about them.

I've ordered some ON Semi 21193/4's from Randy at Audiochips.net - at least I know there origin's then!!

Cheers
Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.