Amplifier without vas stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
answer this poor guy's questions...

Why am i poor?? is this humor?

It is only that THE MASTER has taken it one step further,

are you shure it is step further? being one stage amp it ZV5 has LOW input impedance, HI input cap. , HI otput imedance ... and I don`t see where is similarity with (OneAndOnly)Mr.PAss`s amp except the output stage wich is a classic common source PP stage...

Mr.PAss Zen amps are made as an experiment and they tend to suck more people into DIY comunity and that`s becouse they`re simple, and that is not my point!

bogdan_borko said:

IS there any other design without vas and do you have the schematic?

Even if I am not sure you bother about my answers to your questions
I will not stop TRYING to answer you.
Because I find your amplifier idea very interesting.
Something I can not say about most designs posted in this board.

( There are those who post stuff/questions and when they do not get the answer they expect,
they wont comment or discuss further with the poster who did bother take time to post.
Some will just ignore to give you a hint they have even read and understood your point.
This is my opinion very bad style.
I would go as far as to say it almost rude! )

###########################

Two francoise garcons from La France comes in mind,
when I look at your amplifier schematic.

It is most probable that the other one was inspired by this FIRST ONE.
In amplifier world Hiraga has a name, that Nelson Pass even, will have hard to ever manage to reach up to!

Jean Hiraga - The Legendary Amplifier Designer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HIraga Monster Class A

Jean-Marc Plantefève
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jean-Marc Plantefève DIY Audio Site

lineup :cool:
Lineup Audio Lab and Amplifier History Division

Plantefeve's common source or Hiraga's so-called "darlingnot" output stages have the following features : the open loop voltage gain is modulated by the impedance of the load and the output impedance is relativley high (maybe 6 Ohm). If you can live with that....

forr said:
Plantefeve's common source or Hiraga's so-called "darlingnot" output stages have the following features : the open loop voltage gain is modulated by the impedance of the load and the output impedance is relativley high (maybe 6 Ohm).

Hi Forr

The Plantefeve amp without feedback has a very high output impedance ,much more than 6 Ohms, as the drain of a Mosfet is a (not perfect ) current source...

I have become a regular visit to the French Audax forum ,that I enjoy a lot, and I feel that us , European people , have another way to see audio and Hi-FI , because our references are different ... :)

Salut

"( There are those who post stuff/questions and when they do not get the answer they expect,
they wont comment or discuss further with the poster who did bother take time to post.
Some will just ignore to give you a hint they have even read and understood your point.
This is my opinion very bad style.
I would go as far as to say it almost rude! )"

Hmm, lineup....a true word, thank you! ;)
Is it not so Bogdan? :D

"Even if I am not sure you bother about my answers to your questions...."
...so I will resist to post more examples here :smash:

Heinz ;)

Hi Tube_dude,

Sorry , I was unclear, I should have mentionned that 6 Ohm for Plantefeve's circuit output was closed loop. The circuit is very similar to the Profet from Selectronic and my data come from AudioXpress which reviewed this amplifier.

--- European people , have another way to see audio and Hi-FI---
As you may have seen on the Audax forum, I see audio and hi-fi quite differently for some french people.

Bogdan,
Have you looked at "The Texan"....a design from Texas instruments, available as a kit, around 1973? No mosfets, but an output stage with gain from way back. Sorry but don't have a link to any circuit :xeye:
I have designed and built amps that were somewhat (ok a bit) similar to this several years ago (lateral output mosfets, no fets at input, uncascoded....yes the PSRR was awful) that sounded rather good;) Worth persevering with IMHO...if a bit prone to instability as pointed out by someone earlier in the thread.

probably nothing beats it!

... from Evolve Power Amplifiers

Attachments

• odnf03.gif
    odnf03.gif
    29.4 KB · Views: 364
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.