RCA 65372 and CV109 output transistors replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Cerwin Vega A3000-I came with RCA 65372 output transistors (28 of them) and many have been replaced with Motorola MJ15024 which are easy to find. I have recently replaced all of the transistors with new MJ15024 and have 12 good used ones left over if anyone would like them. I also have 13 good used 65372 if anyone would like these. Cheers, Ian

OH. Do not buy Motorola T03 transistors on ebay. They are ALL counterfeit products from Asia and will fail FAST. The sellers should be stuck off but try telling ebay that! The easiest give-away is the date codes. The last year of production was 1998 before manufacture went to ON Semiconductor so after that they are marked with ON and not the Motorola logo. Date codes were eg 9731 meaning 31st week of 1997, so if you see the motorola logo and any date code like 0220 they are rubbish fakes. Also they should say MEX and not MEXICO on them and should not have a little circle on the back.
Cheers,
Ian:whazzat:

65372's

Hi Ian,
Are you willing to sell the 13 65372's, I have a cerwin Vega A-1800 and in am in need to 11. I believe they were the originals.

Someone rebuilt the amp and used mixed transistors of NTE 280, 109 and 65372 on both channels. needless to say both channels perform differently and one actually distorts at just 50 w RMS.

Please let me know
thanks
Vin

RCA transistors

Well, it has been ages since I posted the above and have used some of the transistors. I will have a look in my box and see how many I can find and test them. I tried to email you through this forum, but apparently you are not accepting emails via it. I am not going to post my email address up here, so you can send me your email address in a message if you like.
Ian:)

OK Vinood, I have found the transistors. There were only 8 left (I used 4 of them as drivers in my 3000-I) but one tested bad so I threw it in the bin. The 7 good ones are marked 65372 RCA C 7704 (4th month of 1977 I presume). I also have 13 (presumably good but would have to test) GENUINE MJ 15024 (11 Motorola with 1986 date codes, 1 marked GE/RCA and 1 unknown but marked C9014). These are a drop-in replacement for the 65372 but have a 250V rating as against the 100V rating of the RCA ones. All were pulled from my 3000-I. I had a mixture of these in the 3000-I and both channels sounded the same. What ever you do with that 1800-I, do not turn the two outboard thumbwheels on the driver boards! Also, be very careful with the DC-offset thumbwheel and the bias adjust thumbwheel unless you have a variac. 7 RCA transistors will be $70 (USD) plus postage. Each MJ15024 $5. Cheers, Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.