How to build an Car Amp to push my subs....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amp easy. Power supply hard. Need more than 13.8V to get decent power (like for subs), so it needs to be a switching supply. Building switching supplies is more complex than building amplifiers (well, most amplifiers), so you won't see much on the DIY front. After I watched a pretty smart electronics guy spend two months trying to keep his switching supply output transistors from blowing up, I decided this would be too much of a challenge.
But search through the threads here, maybe using "car amp" and you'll find some stuff.

Search the threads

As Paul said, there are threads about the matter in this forum. They indicate some articles and tips to build power supplies (more complicated job, for sure - but it's possible to do), complete power amps and other usefull information.

Regards

Well i do not found switchmode PSU to be very complicated. I didn't try to go that high in power tought.But the thing with that if you use transistor to do the "switching" it'S like building to amp.(2x the transistor 2x+ heatsink). A good way would be using MOSFET for the PSU. There also a woy with some special tranformer but I never see those circuit.

I would recommend you buy an amp like a Pyramid PB590 or PB300 and modify it.The PB300 has the same supply as their PB600 just fewer switching transistors(4 X 26A vs 6 X 26A).Remove the IRFZ34 26A parts and replace with IRFZ44N 55A parts.They use 8A outputs.Replace with TIP35C/36C 25A parts.The result will keep up with a $500 Rockford amp for the cost of a $59 Pyramid plus $15 worth of parts and some of your time.And no self-respecting car stereo theif will steal your 'Pyramid' POS amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.