has anyone built any amp from ESP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a friend that works at an aluminum extrusion plant. You can see his heatsinks on ebay under the seller name barredboss. They are an off the shelf item, but I used two of them per amp board. Each heat sink measures 5.75"x7. Originally, I purchased a 4 foot section from him. I cut each piece and used a carbide face mill to trim them to the desired height in a bridgeport vertical mill. The bottom, rear, and sides are .125" thick. The front plate is .250" x 20" x 8". There is a 1kva toroid in the larger vented black metal enclosure. The smaller enclosure near the side panel is a 12v power supply from Apex Jr. The controller near the front of the enclosure is an Omron Zen "smart relay". This is a micro PLC. This controls the power functions. It turns on the solid state relay (located in the larger box with the rectifiers on a heat sink), turns on the soft start circuit, the 12v power supply, and also turns on an additional large octal relay for the speaker outputs. The light on the vandal switch will light when the speaker outputs become active.

Could you post more pics, and perhaps more info on how you made the heatsinks?

Hello. All the information for making the DIY heatsinks is on the ESP site: http://sound.westhost.com/articles/diy-heatsink.htm

I hindsight I'm not sure it's worth the all the effort. If you have a metal cutting bandsaw a drillpress and lots of sheet aluminum taking up space in your workshop then have a go. For my DoZ amp I found stuff on ebay I could cut to size. How DIY can really save time and money is with a DIY custom chassis designed around surplus extrusions. :)

-Mal

Attachments

• sinks.jpg
    sinks.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 306
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.