who s got the best schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wputera said:

hello quasi. keep your good work. i will build your quasi amp too with 5 pairs but i only have 45v-ct-45v 15A transformator, how many watt if my speaker 4 ohms and 8 ohm.

richie00boy said:
Be around 400 watts into 4 ohms, maybe a little less. Probably about 220 watts into 8 ohms. 5 pairs of devices is fine for the 4 ohm load.

I don't think you will quite get that much power. Consider the following (with a big power supply).

45v - 1v(bridge) * 1.414 = 62.2 volts DC
62.2 - 5% (regulation @ full power) = 59.1v DC
59.1 - 6v (FET drop) = 53.1 * 0.707 = 37.54 DC RMS
37.54v into 4 ohms = 352 watts (still pretty good)
You should get around 190 watts into 8 ohms (also pretty good).

Cheers
Q

;) okay Quasi n Richie, thanks again. do u have any suggestion a schematic pre amp for Quasi amp under developtment? I have 4 transistors 2sk 1058 without 2sj 162. How about replacing IRFp450 with this transistor? Or maybe Quasi have any idea about using 2sk1058 as N-channel amplifier?thanks guys :)

I'd have to say Greg's SKA has easily the best schematic -

It's simple, symmetrical and delivers great all round performance and amasing sonics!

Look at the tests done by gapag and the reviews both here and elswhere. He could have taken this the exotic audiophile route but chose to make it available as a very reasonably priced kit to share with DIYers everywhere.

The GB300D will do 300W at < 0.025% efficiently using lower supplies and a smaller tranny than most.

And the sound - magnificent.

I'd have to say Greg's SKA has easily the best schematic -
HiFiddle: I have never seen Greg's SKA schematic, could you enlighten us about it? Also would you be be so kind as to post the link to the review by gapag you mentioned, thanks.

Cascoder: I DIG the handle. I am a fairly faithful cascoder, design wise, ever since I realized what it meant. Surely I'm pleased to make your acquaintance.

acoustixman: nice to make your aquintance also. Yes I am interested in emailing you to have a look at your schematic, but it seems I cannot email you due to "being under moderation".

how about this schematic ?
wputera: yes a very simple schematic, looks alot like the Hiraga which you can find out about here:
http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/hiraga1.htm

Sorry to all if the above looks a bit strange....I haven't worked out how to place multi-line originals as a "quote", and i also havn't figured out how to include the original posters name :confused: ... sorry for any offence taken, certainly none was intended... :)

For pure simplicity, I like this one.

Patrick

Attachments

• grandmos schematics.jpg
    grandmos schematics.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 804
Last edited:

Hi Tief, are you saying that you hate class-B amplifiers? :D

Thanks for the post#83. The Altec 1590 topology is very similar to my PA/ceiling amps. I'm searching for the best possible modification for the amplifiers and the Altec is perfect if the sound quality is as good as being said.

I see that the circuit is single ended with little bias. But to force linearity it uses rough bias/feedback. Resistor divider networks, too many capacitors in the signal path (to block DC). The result is a highly distorted/noisy amp. The spec says below 1% (which is big). You may say that THD doesn't say much but I'm sure it is audible in this amp (like in mine). My amps are capable of 40Hz, the Altecs are specified 45Hz. I don't think the Altec is high-end, but I hope it is!

Hi Tief, are you saying that you hate class-B amplifiers? :D
No, not in general. The disadvantage is harsh sound in high frequency aera above approxximately 5 KHz. But the advantage is a clear and tight bass transmission. For Tweeters pure class a (at best single ended) is the royal way.

Hi Tief,

Thanks for the post#83. The Altec 1590 topology is very similar to my PA/ceiling amps. I'm searching for the best possible modification for the amplifiers and the Altec is perfect if the sound quality is as good as being said.
I see that the circuit is single ended with little bias. But to force linearity it uses rough bias/feedback. Resistor divider networks, too many capacitors in the signal path (to block DC). The result is a highly distorted/noisy amp. The spec says below 1% (which is big). You may say that THD doesn't say much but I'm sure it is audible in this amp (like in mine). My amps are capable of 40Hz, the Altecs are specified 45Hz. I don't think the Altec is high-end, but I hope it is!
I haven't heard and investigate the Altec 1590. This means, that it may be quite, that it's sound is very bad through certainly (me unknown) design errors resp. through unwanted parasitic effects.
Please note: If you have found the best possible circuit topology, you don't have automaticly the best sounded amplifier.

I have just followed some links regarding the Altec amp. It is indeed a low-end amp :(

The disadvantage is harsh sound in high frequency aera above approxximately 5 KHz. But the advantage is a clear and tight bass transmission. For Tweeters pure class a (at best single ended) is the royal way.

I guess the crossover effect in class-B will be minimized if the voltage transformation is kept low, hence current-driven. Using lateral mosfet and a properly designed speaker (using ultra high frequency tweeter such as the dynaudio) I don't think I have ever needed more in the treble region. The speaker affects the treble more than the amp (speaking of hi-end amps) anyway.

Speaking of the best schematic, I wonder why nobody interested to improve the performance of the Mooly's amplifier. Searching for the most suitable transistors, increasing the slew rate (higher rail, regulated front end), removing the feedback cap, improving linearity, improving power etc.

The key to my amplifier implementations is the choice of the transistors!

I have just followed some links regarding the Altec amp. It is indeed a low-end amp :(
...only before tweaking.

If you don't like multi-amping systems (i. e. individual circuit topologies for each speaker frequency aera, by three way this means an amp for bass, midrange and high frequency aera - actually the royal way), and you want to have only one big amp for all the aeras at your speakers, I would say, the circlotron (CSPP=Cross Shunt Push Pull) / PPP=Parallel Push Pull) is the best of all topologies.
Check out the URLs by
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...e-ended-related-solid-state-output-stage.html
and there:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...-names-commercial-solid-state-amplifiers.html

Last edited:
Hi, tief. Thanks, thats interesting links.

There are other reason to get 100W-1000W. Circlomos Isn't classB, and only +/-35V. The difficult things in 100W and up are many things, like thermal, efficiency, component limitations, then how to prevent classB from creating noises when there is any current back from loudspeaker, manage the damper, failure protections, and some more.
Speed and matching devices is not everything (sometimes not needed), single ended classA facing just a current source, and loudspeaker itself is very different between front and back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.