Silicone VS mica pads - pros/cons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> Has anyone ever used beryllium oxide isolators ? Beryllium oxide is carcinogenic and poses health risks if inhaled. I know it is used in traveling wave tubes TWT's for rapid heat transfer to cold plates in Hi-power RF amplifiers( mil-aircraft). Any thoughts ?

I just checked with a friend in the ceramic business.

According to him, no one in the trade will touch Beryllium Oxide these days. The powder is more toxic than asbestos; there are companies who are still paying off millions of compensations to workers exposed to the stuff, and the buildings formerly used to manufacture the substrates had to be torned down with toxic disposal.

So I guess that leaves us only Aluminium nitirde, like I mentioned in the Pass forum.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1032023#post1032023

Patrick

Hi Workhorse,
Kapton is just perfect as an electrical insulator. I believe it is a special hi temp version of polyethylene but please correct me if this is wrong.

The Kapton sheet should be 0.002inch or less. Some sheet is thinner than the adhesive they apply to one face.

If thicker Kapton is used the thermal resistance is too high for high heat flow duties. Use thinner (0.001inch) if available.

Due to the smooth and fairly hard surface of Kapton it must be used with thermal compound on both sides (just like Mica) or on the clean side if adhesive is applied to the other side.

I use the K10's from Bergquist from time to time. Kinda $pendy, but they do a great job.

Kinda spendy? they are bat **** crazy $$$$$$ just like some sources for beryllium oxide

Ask yourself this.. when the ripoff cost for the thermal pad costs MORE than the component it is working with you know you are doing something wrong and/or are getting shafted big time

Many buying "goop" fall for this same insanity in IT.. buying GOOD quality with excellent performance is possible without getting a telephone pole up the **** while the seller smirks at not even offering lube while making insane profits on the foolish or ignorant.

I use worked in IT for far longer than I care to count and while many oblivious buyers forked over stupid $$ for a 3g tube of fancy goop I was using similar good with 95% of the performance vs $$$$$$$ versions and paying less for a 60g package! lol

And no offence to Nelson either but the good he says they are using (in another thread) is bottom of the line for thermal performance despite it being from a good mfr (AAvid/thermalloy).. its a paltry 0.4 rating iirc my usual is a 4.9 and for misssion critical i have access to goop rated 12+ but that is pricy and very rarely justified.

For even the most highend we will ever really use here anything more $ than i pay for my usual goop is simply foolish IMO and the Berq pads are very nice.. but not worth the ripoff price by any means

Even for my one amp Im working on with pricy OOP Sanken parts is not worth that sort of cost

rule of thumb.. dont fall into the "$$$ means better" trap and never pay more for the TIM than the components..

seriously? the system *'d out a non-profanity synomym for rear end? lol
Must be a filter set to appease the special snowflake crowd by default

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.