Crown Micro-Tech 600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All!

With being out of school this year, i am bored and looking for new projects to work on. I found this ancient amplifier in the closet, and its condition is well....ancient/(channel two on this thing doesn't really exist.) Gangster i know. But the aim of this project is:

Make this Amp better than it was originally designed too....or

Make it sound like the day it came out of the shop.

I will post pics of the conditions later. I just want to hear some feedback. One major thing is the loud fuzz when gain knob is turned. But yes, pic's comeing soon.

Do not bother, they did not sound anyway when they where new. No definition, lacking in the high freq. and the low end is not tight. In the past I did a-b comparison tests with microtechs and the Carver PM1.5 in PA systems, the only conclusion was to throw the Crowns in the wastebin. I owned also a set Crown Delta Omega's, they where great.

GRG

"40 Farads X 2 PS filtering " ... = two PS filter boards with four 10000 uF caps on each.

"Sounds cool, you can run it without UPS." ... Uninteruptable PS ?? ... don't need 'em = got Gysers power plants up the hill ... :hot:

"Also, if you got 64VDC from 50VAC, it means your DC is regulated." ... I may have mis-spoke ... the torrid transformer output is ~+/- 45 VAC (not 50), so the output (by actual measurement) is +/- 64.1 VDC ... which slightly overdrives the AussieAmplifiers NX-150 modules by about 1/2% ...

:bigeyes:

Imho, the comments on the quality of the Macro-Tech series are way off the mark.

They have exceptionally high DF.
They have just fine freq response.
The larger ones put out substantial power.
The topology is incredibly clever (check it out).
It works just fine unless you do something really dumb to blow it up... and people do.

Bridged mode is serious power.

Downside is that it is heavy.

The Carver amps are much lighter, but hardly in the same league as far as an amplifier. I've yet to hear or test a Carver that doesn't "gloss over" all sorts of things because of the way that it switches rails, and the like - another really clever design, btw...

I'd repair the amp, and at least use it to run some subs.
I run subs with mine.

Take the stupid fan/transformer combo out.
Replace with a transformer.
Replace the fan with a DC fan, run off any manner of thermal control off the heatsinks - OFF or really slow unless you heat it up.
Getting it hot in a home situation is not so easy to do.

I'm running my subs with one now. Is one of the best LF amps that I've used so far.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

PS. A Crown XLS-202 is something very different than a MacroTech

Bear: This is a Micro-Tech Amp, not macrotech...just to clear it up. I figured people would blow the quality out of proportion, but they do have very good points.

Fan/transformer is crap by the way. Now to replace it with what transformer is my question? The Mallory caps look fine. No bulge, oozing, or that matter, but i probably should check it with an ohmeter if i can find one randomly.

Also, when i replace the fan with what fan...does that mean i need a new chassis?

The main purpose is to make the fuzz noise go away, and make the amp more powerful if possible.

Well, we where glad to shift out those dc-300a's and microtech's, our Pa systems sounded much better without the Crown ****.
Carver is ok! I had 75 of them running, the only thing broke down where the ventilators or the opto-couplers for the limitters. They where in use under heavy conditions, inside and outside. With some bands the powermeters where all at the top during the whole concert, they never went down, only during the breaks!

GRG

Well. I took a look at everything. Everything looks really good and clean on the inside:

1. All solder points look pristine.(much much better soldering than i could do)

2. Capacitors aren't oozing or deformed.

3. Dust has been removed and the system almost looks new. Its crazy.

Now: I'm thinking about replacing the transformer/making my own. I know it seems crazy, but after looking at the transformer/fan combo, im pretty sure ive seen 3rd grade metal wrapped around a nail look more technological. I'm not ragging on Crown, i mean this thing was designed in 1986 apparently. I will need help with this though. I've been doing some research and i think i may be able to do it myself. But once again, i'm pretty much a newb outside of Circuits Class at Georgia Tech.

So back to the subject on new questions:

1. Transformer....should i make it, and how?

2. Pictures are coming soon, you will laugh i promise.

3. Any ideas to make this beast put out some serious power?

4. Why am I intent on doing this project(i am broke and i want my amp to stop making that buzzing noise)

5. Any critisicism and jokes are welcome.

WELL, the whole idea of "cowboying it" kinda scares me when dealing with high power audio. I'd rather get it right the first time. But seeing that i'm facing the daunting task of building a transformer(for the first time) for an amp, that i really trully don't know the condition of, its going to happen anyway. I just like to hear suggestions.

Also, i have a 600 watt Sony, car audio amp laying around that has MOSFET Technology. Just for the pure fact that i hate the Sony audio brand, i would love to take it apart and destroy it. Do you think i could use any of these parts and incorporate it into the Crown Amp....i know alot of car stereo isn't the right ohms but maybe i can do a tad bit of fabrication? Suggestions, bitte.

Imho, the comments on the quality of the Macro-Tech series are way off the mark.
They have exceptionally high DF.
They have just fine freq response.
The topology is incredibly clever (check it out).
It works just fine unless you do something really dumb to blow it up... and people do.

There you have it... an experts opinion.

Wrong amp as its a Micro-Tech 600 being discussed here.

How good is this amp really you ask? Well, let me state one instance for you. I had (4) of these in a small club. With loading well within their published limits they managed to blow at least one of these amps a month. Granted there were ample considerations in the system such as a very good limiter to guard against the system being pushed too hard. The system was set up as a typical commercial system in that all pieces within the signal chain would clip at the same time. Care was then given to assure that they couldn't get enough signal to clip the amps. The result normally is a system that will play very loud and still stay together. Crown is the exception here I'm afraid. After many attempts by Crown which included the replacement of all amps with newer crown amps they still failed.
Finally, the crowns were pulled and QSC amps were used as replacements with no other problems.

Now, you have the comments from an expert who I would guess has never been involved in ANY commercial system such as a small club or a football or baseball stadium and you have mine. I have unfortunately had to deal with Crown in many systems both large and small.

Would the Crown work at home for bass reinforcement you ask. Chances are it would given the load considerations weren't pushed and given the percentage of usage were small. You can use about anything for bass since you don't have to care about its sounding ransid in the midrange and high frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.