Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Mayank is offline Mayank  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Kit Ryan mod for Adcom GFA-555

Hi All:

I was going through some old Audio Amateur magazines and came across a detailed article by Kit Ryan on building a Power Supply regulator for the Adcom GFA-555. According to the article, with this modification, "the transient response of the amplifier is dramatically improved, bringing increased resolution, imaging and sound stage definition with it. The best part is that these qualities are maintained from low volume levels right up to when the green 'overload' LEDs on the front panel light up".

This looks very attractive and I would like to start this project and modify my GFA-555.

2 questions - has anyone on the forum built this? Are the results of the modification really as described?

Thanks in advance
Mayank
Old 12th October 2006, 07:27 PM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Mayank,
I'm not sure about that one. Regulating some of the parts in the voltage amp section should do it.

Adcom had an option for this, but I've never seen one installed. Try it, but make sure you can back out as well.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!