Transformer for Greg Ball Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i purchased 5 kits from Greg, (3x300w and 2x150w) i need to purchase the transformers right now.

I call some stores and they told me that have the following products.

Toroidal 300VA with Electrostatic Screen 100u$s
Toroidal 300VA without Electrostatic Screen 92u$s
Toroidal 500VA (Compact) with Electrostatic Screen 160u$s
Toroidal 500VA (Compact) without Electrostatic Screen 140u$s

Normal 500va $85u$s

Is ok to use one 1000VA or 1200VA for this amp? i want to build an 5 channels amp for my HT, i really dont want to get noise, i want an GOOD HQ amp, and i read nice comments abt the Greg Amps dont want to **** it with strange tranformers, what can i do?

Thanks

Hi,
there is a copper shield that you can fit around an EI transformer.
I have seen it done in a number of websites.
I cannot comment on how effective it is.

I realise my short cable suggestion is much more expensive (but you save on cable costs) but it gives an idea of where you can aim if you want to go that type of route.

Ampguru has specifically designed his GB amplifiers to have very high PSRR. This feature should make them less sensitive to PSU fluctuations. Ampguru recommends a wide range of amplifiers ratings for his amps, as designer he is aware of the limitations.

My size suggestion is on the basis of a "normal" ClassAB power amplifier requirement of about 1.5times the maximum power output and is recommended by many commentators. I find it works well in practice.

I also know that running a group of amplifiers from a single transformer can manage with less than the sum of the individual requirements IF the signals to each are DIFFERENT. If all the amplifiers are playing the same bass notes to the same level, then they will all be drawing the same current at the same time.
But there is a significant economy to be had here. Just make sure each amplfier has it's own rectifier and smoothing bank.

Hi Sams,
the 40-0-40Vac transformer sounds a little bit high for the gb150.
Ampguru specifies +-55Vdc from the PSU.
40Vac (when driven from the specified input voltage) will give about 58Vdc to 60Vdc depending on regulation and quiescent currents.

gb300 can easily cope with the higher voltages when driving the higher impedance loads but needs a lower voltage PSU when using 4ohm loads.

I am using a 230Vac to 35vac 300VA transformer (effectively 36.5Vac when on 240Vac mains) and it produces +-52.8Vdc into the running amplifier (when on 240Vac and shorted input RCA).
This will/does rise to +-56Vdc when the mains incomer is +6%.
This short term overload is just about acceptable for 7ohm or more and probably OK for 6ohm as well (4 to 8ohm speakers during a party night with everything blaring and mains @ +6% might be going a bit too far, particularly if the heatsink is getting a bit hot)! Could this set of circumstances ever apply to you?

I'm using a single 300VA 35-0-35 Vac for 52V supplies with my two GB150D modules and there is an awesome amount of power in reserve.

I think you could run 4 from a 500VA with ease. The peak power is more a function of idle supply voltage and adequate capacitance. Widerange music has maybe only 10% average power compared with the peaks, so the transformer doesn't heat much at all and it's regulation isn't taxed.

HiFiddle said:
I'm using a single 300VA 35-0-35 Vac for 52V supplies with my two GB150D modules and there is an awesome amount of power in reserve.

I think you could run 4 from a 500VA with ease. The peak power is more a function of idle supply voltage and adequate capacitance. Widerange music has maybe only 10% average power compared with the peaks, so the transformer doesn't heat much at all and it's regulation isn't taxed.
Hi samsagaz
Yes, I would tend to agree with HiFiddle :D

You could use the following
... a single 500VA, 35-0-35 Vac, for 4 x GB150D
... a single 500VA, 40-0-40 Vac, for 2 x GB300D
:cool:

thanks
KL

ok, received the transformers :)

i purchased 2 600VA 36-0-36 with additional 12V Output to drive my kits.

Now i need to use an SoftStart coz 600va is too much.

http://www.pcpaudio.com/pcpfiles/misc/soft_start/Schematic.pdf

its the schematic that i will use. now... i need to use 4 softstart? (i mean one for each rectifier boards?)

i purchased 4 rectifier boards of 300W each one, so i will use 3 with the 3 GB300 Modules and another with two GB150 Kit.

Is that right?

Hi,
you need one soft start for each amp chassis.
or
you could fit twin relays on the output of the timer and run a soft start to each transformer.

I have seen soft start after the transformer, but I believe this is to slow down the capacitor charging, not to allow the transformer to establish the magnetic flux. Two different conditions.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
you need one soft start for each amp chassis.
or
you could fit twin relays on the output of the timer and run a soft start to each transformer.

I have seen soft start after the transformer, but I believe this is to slow down the capacitor charging, not to allow the transformer to establish the magnetic flux. Two different conditions.

but i need to slow down the capacitor charging or allow the transformer to establish the magnetic flux? :)

Hi,
that's what I said either of those two different conditions could use a soft start.
But the topology of the two are completely different.

In general domestic ClassAB amplifiers do not use enormous smoothing banks and thus do not benefit from a soft start after the rectifier.

However, most bigger domestic amplifiers will benefit from a soft start on the mains side of the transformer.

Soft starting allows a much smaller fuse rating to be used and this in turn allows the benefit of close rated fusing and the improved safety that follows.

I recommend you use mains soft start, with a 300mS timer, to reduce the current pulse while the transformer is establishing the magnetic flux.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.