Symasym - the sequel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Chris,

Did you compare your diff input Zener biased JFET cascode circuit with a Vt self biased cascode similar to what Mr. Borbley often uses? The 2SK246 JFET in the attached circuit has a larger Vt than a 2SK170(2SK389), and this Vt difference establishes the cascode bias. I've gotten good results with the Borbley circuit, but the design requires careful JFET testing and matching.

The literature data shows the lowest distortion with a bipolar diff input and bipolar cascode, and next lowest with a JFET diff input and biased bipolar cascode. Borbley suggests that the JFET-JFET cascode has reduced 3rd harmonic distortion, reduced low signal noise with a high input impedance(over 50 ohms), and favorable thermal tracking, which makes it the best audio topology.

Attachments

• borlbey.jpg
    borlbey.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,090
LineSource said:
Hi Chris,

Did you compare your diff input Zener biased JFET cascode circuit with a Vt self biased cascode similar to what Mr. Borbley often uses? The 2SK246 JFET in the attached circuit has a larger Vt than a 2SK170(2SK389)

2sk246 (not to easy to get those FETs today) self biased offer only 2-2.5V for cascoded device. It is very hard to good match all four devices.
Zenner biased JFET do the same thing much easier

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mihai,
Please read carfully all the reasons i had in using JFETs as cascode device.
I did read it. I read it again and thought about it. Doesn't wash from what I know.
Firstly, I want to run my FETs with a higher, no fuss Vds (hand selecting fets is an incredible pain). Ib is not really an issue here either as it is equal on both sides and a non issue as far as I know. I could be wrong, but someone would have to explain it to me.

Secondly, I never use current diodes. Rather imperfect devices, a simple LED-BJT setup works better.
Borbley suggests that the JFET-JFET cascode has reduced 3rd harmonic distortion, reduced low signal noise with a high input impedance(over 50 ohms), and favorable thermal tracking, which makes it the best audio topology.
I'd have to see it to accept it, it's possible. Thermal tracking? Now I'm truly lost! I can see why this might be a problem with J-fets, but BJT's? Your D-S voltage would be set by the voltage on the bases (give or take a few mV).

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Mihai,
... I never use current diodes. Rather imperfect devices, a simple LED-BJT setup works better.

I'd have to see it to accept it, it's possible. Thermal tracking? Now I'm truly lost! I can see why this might be a problem with J-fets, but BJT's? Your D-S voltage would be set by the voltage on the bases (give or take a few mV).

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Where did you see diode used as a CCS Vref component? D2 is used as Vref for cascode device Q11.

I dont see your point regading thermaltrak (NJL's) devices :xeye:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi pinkmouse,
Never underestimate the power of strategically placed jumpers. ;) Running your B+ and B- through heavy jumpers may have a positive side effect. Your sensing diode connections could be run through ribbon wire back to the bias circuit, thinking 20 GA wire here.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.