parelleling output devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it advisable to parellel o/p devices to increase power handling?

IE: i have 15 amps flowing through a mosfet... i need a mosfet rated abt 20 amps to handle the power

can i use 2*10 amp rated mosfets to do the job?
as lower rated devices are cheaper?

i dun mind the distortion as it wud be for a sub.

Yes, you can parallel output devices. But depending on your application you may need to add source and gate resistors. Usually 100 to 1000 ohms in series with the gates, and .05 to .5 in series with the sources. (I usually use 330 gate, with .2 source resistance)

As for power dissipation, you need to look carefully at how much power you want to get rid of, the size of your heatsink, and thermal resistance of the device. Also, remember that the wattage of a device is usually specified with the case operating at 25 deg C. You will have to reduce the rating when the heatsink temp rises above the 25 degree point.

If you look around some of the MFR web sites, you can find info on how to size heatsinks. I'm sure there are also web sites on the net to show how to do that also...

-Dan

You could, yes, with enough in parallel.

IRF620/630 are close to the same price and have larger die inside, which give you higher power dissipation and transconductance in the same package, though. If your driver stage can drive the extra input capacitance, you might want to go that route.

i checked...

irf350 has 2600pf input capz.
irf610 has 450pf

therefore.... i can put almost 6 devices for the same capacitace....

does any one know how cud i build a driver stage to power pavel marcura's 17w mosfet amp with even higher input capz.....

im running my music of the computer.... do i still need the drive stage?

here are the schematics

Attachments

• mosfet amp 1.gif
    mosfet amp 1.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 223
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.