popping crackling distortion that clears up after 2 mins Help!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default popping crackling distortion that clears up after 2 mins Help!!

I'm having problems with a Quad 405 fitted with a frequency splitting board from a rogers LS 5/8 loudspeaker.

when powered up the Bass section pops and crackles quite loudly (almost like electrical arcing) with some background hiss, after about 2 mins it settles down and behaves. I had this problem about 6 months ago and replaced most of the transistors and capacitors (mostly Tantalums which were replaced with electrolytics) which solved the problem but now it has re-appeared, any idea what the problem could be?

thanks
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
edl is offline edl  Hungary
diyAudio Member

What's your speakers impedance?
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

8ohm IIRC, I tried it on a 4ohm midbass and that is no better/worse.

I have found with just the amp channel and no input I get a little popping and crackling, with the frequency splitter board it seems a little worse (but it may not be).
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
edl is offline edl  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hmmm...
Then I would check the solderings, then the elkos.

Or maybe it's oscillating? You should use a scope to determine it.
Old 3rd October 2006, 11:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Try this method....and the others ideas people will suggest too.

Touch with a soldering iron the components leads

This way you may find the defective component.

Do it with the amplifier switched on...no signal in the input..and listen to detect the noise..... wait component to absorb the heat from the soldering iron...listen at the speakers searching for the damaged part.

Of course sensitive stages will amplify the AC noise captured by your soldering iron metal chassis....when testing those stages reduce the volume for some seconds...remove the soldering iron and turn the volume up again.

regards,

Carlos

Old 3rd October 2006, 01:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have today found out that tapping that amp board causes the speaker to 'crack' loudly so I think it would very well be a dry/broken joint.
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Blanket resolder, and go over all the traces with a magnifing glass to check for any cracks.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th October 2006, 11:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Further to this, I have now solved the loud 'crack pop' noises, by blanket re-soldering the board and changing one Tant capacitor for a back to back pair of electros (was all I had to hand). but now the amp has quite a hiss and crackle which fades in at turn on which clears up after 30sec or so, Someone mentioned the electrolytic caps could be breaking down and healing as a voltage is applied, any ideas?

Hide this!Advertise here!