Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2006, 10:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default BGW performace series help

Hello guys, I am very new to the forums. In reading several post I was able to tell you really know your amps. I have a question to ask you. I have a BGW perfomance series amp that I have owned for several years. I like this amp very much and I don't want to get rid of it. It seems to be having some troubles. Once in a while a distorted craking noise will come out of one channel almost popping the speaker, the music fades in then goes out with several cracks. Then It will be fine a few minutes later. This only happens once in a while. About twice every three months. Three weeks ago Iwas plaing music loud all night and the amp perfomed perfectly. A few days later when I turned it on and one channel didn't work. No signal was indicated on the amp leds, but was indicated on my mixer. i swithed the left and right rca connections and the channel still did not work. About an hour later the second channel started working and I connected the speaker and it cranked well for hours. I took it to a shop to have it checked out and they said it was fine. My cables and connections are all new. I would really appreciate some sudgestions or if anyone might have had the same problems with their amps. I also notice it has a lot of background hissing. Are these BGWS known for this. Thanks guys, Ern
Old 30th September 2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Try to resolder all the solder joints first.
Old 30th September 2006, 06:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Leolabs for the reply. which joints do mean? I am somewhat new with amps.
Old 30th September 2006, 06:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Your problem sure sounds like it's caused by a bad soldering.

As Leolabs writes, try resolder ALL solder joints on the PCB
Old 1st October 2006, 04:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks ACD, I did take my amp to a repair shop because one channel went out. Maybe they did some bad soldering. I'll ask them about that. Also does the groung on the three prong power plug do anything. I use to have an extension that worked with a two pron plug so I removed the groung prong. Thanks for the replies and help I really appreciate it.

Hide this!Advertise here!