Max current consumption for P3A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ballpark figure

do you already have a power supply? Why do you need the max current?

I would estimate it at around 4.5 amps. 35V rails into 4 ohm load is the max that Rod recomends. That current draw is surprisingly close to the 5 amp fuses he uses on the rails.

If you are using 35V rails, I think you will have a little more than 100W also.

Austin

Well, 35-3=32Vpeak, 22.6Vrms. P=V^2/R gives 128W.

Ipeak=8A,
Irms=5.65A

Of course, each half of the supply only supplies current for half a cycle (+bias current for other half) so the RMS current seen by each half of the supply is roughly

2.8A + (bias current)/2

So, you were pretty close to begin with. You will probably never have to supply close to this much current continuously, given the crest factor of music. However, if you overdrive (square wave) your current is double the calculation for a since wave.

I hope your output devices are robust. ;)

tiroth said:
Well, 35-3=32Vpeak, 22.6Vrms. P=V^2/R gives 128W.

Ipeak=8A,
Irms=5.65A

Of course, each half of the supply only supplies current for half a cycle (+bias current for other half) so the RMS current seen by each half of the supply is roughly

2.8A + (bias current)/2

So, you were pretty close to begin with. You will probably never have to supply close to this much current continuously, given the crest factor of music. However, if you overdrive (square wave) your current is double the calculation for a since wave.

I hope your output devices are robust. ;)

thanks alot,, its much clearer now,,
but whats the bias current?!
i know its v.basic stuff but forgive me i dont ve much knowledge
about the transistors and its related dif. ..
thanks again.

The bias current is current that is always flowing regardless of the demand. If you've followed Rod's instructions, you've adjusted the bias current to 100mA, which is pretty negligable in this calculation. Some people will bias the supply much higher, in which case it makes more of a difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.