adcom 545 power suppy capcitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I want to replace the 4 power supply caps on my adcom 545 ll. They are 63v 10,000uf 85c rubycon branded units, with three lugs and a (dummy lug) on the bottom of them. I can't seem to find anthing like this online. Can I substitue these with somthing else? I havent tried Adcom yet as they probabley charge an arm and leg for them. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

you can likely go with a panasonic capacitor of similar design. Digikey has many great high current-high frequency-long foil 4 post panasonic caps. They are literally at the back of the electrolytic capacitor section of the cataloge. Digi-key has one of the best caps selections around.

I'd hazard a guess you could go to 15,000uf in the same space footprint wise, but go taller. Check how much space you have.

Also, if possible, do some changing out of the pre-driver power supply to better caps. The LXZ series of Rubycon caps are stellar performers,and come in at a maximum of 63VDC, perfect for you.

This is what I would personally do, and have just done to a Adcom 585.

-replace predriver main PS resevoir caps with slightly higher value uf values (2x, maybe) and LXZ Rubycon type.

-bypass the capacitor coupled input with higher grade polystyrene caps or similar, and an overall larger uf value. But not too high, ie, about 25% more uf total.

-remove all 'plug' connections, if any, by hardwiring the leads back into the boards, remove sockets.

-add some PS buffers directly at the leads for the output transistors. a 1000uf LXZ 63VDC cap at each should do it.

-up the fuse amerage ratings on the PS rails. If they are 5 amp, go to 7 amp fuses. Fuses there don't do squat anyway. the outputs blow, and then the fuses pop-after your drivers are blown. I've never had a different outcome, ever. If it was my unit, I'd likely go to 8 amp or 10 amp, but it's not my amp, it's yours.

-upgrade those main PS caps to the better high-current panasonic caps, from digikey.

-Use poly-prop bypass caps on the extra capacitance that is right at the transistors.

-Consider cleaning off the boards of the covering on the traces, and building up the thickness of them, in the PS parts of the traces. The adcom units tend to sound the same, having identical 'wet fart' note to any bass note, which is a indication of poor current delivery, no matter what their specs say. The traces are a shortcoming, but just one of them. Too light.

-Consider the use of ultra fast diodes in the circuit and/or ultrafast rectification.

Look at the grounding scheme that it employs, there may be room for improvement.

I'm sure there is more, but I'll let others chime in, if so inclined.

my 555 needs to be overhauled and I have a few questions you might be able to help with. Please see image attached. I am not sure of what parts are what. Maybe you can help identify them and I can replace them.

Attachments

• adcomimage.jpg
    adcomimage.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.