Dual mono . truth doesn´t matter!? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2006, 06:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual mono . truth doesn´t matter!?

I got a little bit surprised as I saw an ad, where a power amp, in which the two channels shared the same mains transformer, and this concept was called "Dual mono" .

For once I reacted , and sent the company an e-mail this morning, and I just got an answer,(lesson learned, don´t be too critical)
L

(My mail)
Hi !
About the Belles 350A: you can´t call an amp, were two channels share the same transformer dual mono.
No offence, but a bit "basic knowledge".

Regards
Håkan xxxxx
Uppsala
Sweden
------------------------------------------------------
(the answer)
It is quite obvious that you have too much time on your hands.
I could think of a million other thing to do with my time than to talk about what is considered dual mono or not.
Here is what I picked up from the manufacturer's website.
Why don't you contact them and bother them. I did not design this amp.
The 350A utilizes a dual mono design topology. This gives the amplifier better isolation between channels. Soundstage imaging is improved, offering true soundstage width and depth. Instrument placement and layering are more accurate. Each channel shares a common 2000 VA toroidal transformer. By using a larger sin-gle transformer, rather than 2 smaller ones as in typical dual mono designs, stronger and cleaner bass is maintained.

Regards

xxxx xxxxxxx
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now we have "Dual mono" , "Typical dual mono" and the rest.
And maybe a need for education?
Old 27th September 2006, 06:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, you know, 'dual mono' is not clearly defined. It used to be that dual mono was two physically separate pieces of hardware each containing a single amp. Then they started to put the two in one box but still two separate amps. Is that dual mono? Now they share the xformer. That makes them actually identical to a 'normal' stereo amp. Maybe you should ask them that. What is the difference between their dual mono and stereo amp???

Also note the absolute ignorance and lack of interest of the man about his products. He is just a box pusher, selling tomatoes next year if that pays better.

Sigh.

Jan Didden
Old 27th September 2006, 06:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Håkon

I'll support you ....

in my oppinion, a dual mono design should be two completely separated amps in one chassis, - sharing no components at all execpt the mains wire

By the way... I think it's a rather unpleasant respons you got there from the "importer ??"...

If I got that kind of respons from anyone who live by selling stuff to me, I would never never buy his products.. If I really wanted the stuff, I would by it outside the country
Old 27th September 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your responses!
The letter I got is from an US retailing company.

Best regards
Håkan
Old 27th September 2006, 07:06 PM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi ACD,
I agree with you. I'll add that The golden mean should forward the response with the original email to the manufacturer and request clarification on the matter. Also ask if this is an acceptable response from a representative of their products. It does seem to be a reasonable question to me.

That will be the last time they respond with such a "flip" attitude.

-Chris
Old 27th September 2006, 07:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tell a non-audio, non-engineer person, that stereo amplifier is two amplifiers sharing common power supply. They will be really surprised!
Old 27th September 2006, 07:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

They are usually disappointed when they find out that the "A" and "B" speaker jacks go to the same amplifier. What you are saying will ruin their day.

-Chris
Old 27th September 2006, 07:23 PM   #8
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

A distinction of "dual mono" amps is they share only the transformer. Everything downstream is discrete: fuses, rectifier bridge, capacitor bank. My first exposure to this was through reading Dr. Marshall Leach's write-up of the Low TIM Amp. That is the arrangement in his lab amp.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Dual Mono

I think Dual Mono is a bull@#it term. I hear that and I say to myself, hmn... these are not mono blocks, why use the word mono? Even Jan said the interpretation varies. Who ever uses such terminology is weak if it conjures questions.

The response of the company contacted is a reflection of the manufacturer. The whole thing adds up to zero between the two firms. I wouldn't go there if someone else was paying.

Sorry if that is harsh but it is true for me.

Shawn.
Old 27th September 2006, 10:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Shawn,
Yup.
Confusion in the marketplace to generate sales. Weak marketing.

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!