Dual mono . truth doesn´t matter!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a little bit surprised as I saw an ad, where a power amp, in which the two channels shared the same mains transformer, and this concept was called "Dual mono" .

For once I reacted , and sent the company an e-mail this morning, and I just got an answer,(lesson learned, don´t be too critical)
L;)

(My mail)
Hi !
About the Belles 350A: you can´t call an amp, were two channels share the same transformer dual mono.
No offence, but a bit "basic knowledge".

Regards
Håkan xxxxx
Uppsala
Sweden
------------------------------------------------------
(the answer)
It is quite obvious that you have too much time on your hands.
I could think of a million other thing to do with my time than to talk about what is considered dual mono or not.
Here is what I picked up from the manufacturer's website.
Why don't you contact them and bother them. I did not design this amp.
The 350A utilizes a dual mono design topology. This gives the amplifier better isolation between channels. Soundstage imaging is improved, offering true soundstage width and depth. Instrument placement and layering are more accurate. Each channel shares a common 2000 VA toroidal transformer. By using a larger sin-gle transformer, rather than 2 smaller ones as in typical dual mono designs, stronger and cleaner bass is maintained.

Regards

xxxx xxxxxxx
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now we have "Dual mono" , "Typical dual mono" and the rest.
And maybe a need for education?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, you know, 'dual mono' is not clearly defined. It used to be that dual mono was two physically separate pieces of hardware each containing a single amp. Then they started to put the two in one box but still two separate amps. Is that dual mono? Now they share the xformer. That makes them actually identical to a 'normal' stereo amp. Maybe you should ask them that. What is the difference between their dual mono and stereo amp???

Also note the absolute ignorance and lack of interest of the man about his products. He is just a box pusher, selling tomatoes next year if that pays better.

Sigh.

Jan Didden

Håkon

I'll support you ....

in my oppinion, a dual mono design should be two completely separated amps in one chassis, - sharing no components at all execpt the mains wire ;)

By the way... I think it's a rather unpleasant respons you got there from the "importer ??"...

If I got that kind of respons from anyone who live by selling stuff to me, I would never never buy his products.. If I really wanted the stuff, I would by it outside the country ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ACD,
I agree with you. I'll add that The golden mean should forward the response with the original email to the manufacturer and request clarification on the matter. Also ask if this is an acceptable response from a representative of their products. It does seem to be a reasonable question to me.

That will be the last time they respond with such a "flip" attitude.

-Chris

A distinction of "dual mono" amps is they share only the transformer. Everything downstream is discrete: fuses, rectifier bridge, capacitor bank. My first exposure to this was through reading Dr. Marshall Leach's write-up of the Low TIM Amp. That is the arrangement in his lab amp.

Dual Mono

I think Dual Mono is a bull@#it term. I hear that and I say to myself, hmn... these are not mono blocks, why use the word mono? Even Jan said the interpretation varies. Who ever uses such terminology is weak if it conjures questions.

The response of the company contacted is a reflection of the manufacturer. The whole thing adds up to zero between the two firms. I wouldn't go there if someone else was paying.

Sorry if that is harsh but it is true for me.

Shawn.

Quoted
---dual mono design topology. This gives the amplifier better isolation between channels. Soundstage imaging is improved, offering true soundstage width and depth. Instrument placement and layering are more accurate.---

If you read Richard Brice's "Multimedia and Virtual Reality Engineering", you'll see it is quite the contrary. Diaphony can enhance the stereo imaging a lot.

forr said:
Quoted
---dual mono design topology. This gives the amplifier better isolation between channels. Soundstage imaging is improved, offering true soundstage width and depth. Instrument placement and layering are more accurate.---

If you read Richard Brice's "Multimedia and Virtual Reality Engineering", you'll see it is quite the contrary. Diaphony can enhance the stereo imaging a lot.

That all sounds :confused: to me. If I ever get down with that line of talk, you'll know I just purchased Bees Wax Caps and a set of $2,000.00 speaker cables. :D

No offense, it is just how I feel.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Hi TomWaits,

Here for some explanations :

http://richardbrice.net/franci.htm

Extract
--- [...]So that, when two-loudspeakers reproduce a stereo image from an interchannel intensity-derived stereo music signal, the high frequency components of each instrument or voice emanate from one place within the stereo image and the low-frequency components emanate from nearly - but not quite - the same place. The result, to use a visual analogy, is a slight smearing or blurring of the stereo image.---

Fuzzy amplifier tech talk is very common in the industry. Here are some of the so called facts that I can recall reading from Stereophile:

1) Each input of a preamp needs to be burned in. (My comments: I guess relays sound better over time)

2) In high power amps, the PSU caps must be carefully chosen such that the charge and discharge times are the same. (My comments: I guess the load seen by the caps are always a near dead short)

3) Op-amps are like weeds, we don't use weeds in our design. (My comments: I guess Mark Levinson's designs are bad then)

4) We use a precision JFET resistor ladder in our volume control design. (My comments: what a nice way to call a LM1972 chip)

Putting that nonsense aside, what apalls me is the fact that the seller/distributor of that "dual mono" amp has such a rude attitude. I would never buy from someone like that.

Hakan,

Firstly apology for not spelling your name correctly, but for some reason I cannot find the symbol for the first "a".

I agree with Jan Didden and the rest of the folks on the nature of that reply. Without further ado, may I kindly request that you e-mail me on my private e-mail which is accessable from my CV left? I promise to keep your particulars confidential. I tried the same but see that you are non-accessable.

Kind regards
Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.